March 3

Oh, Saturday. I love you.

I walked into the living room after putting Daisy down for her nap to find this:
I couldn't stifle my laughter and betrayed my presence; Chris dropped his newspaper and I saw this:

Things about these two photos that make me laugh:
Caleb's striped feet, wiggling under the newspaper
Chris' equally striped feet, hidden in his slippers
The hat. Oh, the hat.
The boys are reading the bid-ness section, and Caleb is holding a calculator
Caleb is truly engrossed in the newspaper-reading

In other news, guess who's sick again?
Yep. 
The poor girl can't catch a break! She must have picked up a cold at MOPS. As much as I relish the opportunity to put her in childcare, I'm starting to feel very angry toward the church nursery and the MOPS nursery. Every time I leave Daisy in one of those places (and really, they're the only place she ever goes), she gets sick. I really don't remember Caleb being sick as often as Daisy is - it seems like she has a new cold or virus every other week! And I'm breastfeeding her! What happened to all of those super immunities my breastmilk is supposed to provide? I can't imagine how sick she'd be if I wasn't nursing her!

Anyway, now it's a cold. She has a runny nose and must feel terrible, and I'm pretty sure she has a fever, too. Poor kid. Chris has a cold, too, but he's been fighting his all week. Daisy's just came out of nowhere!

And then there's Caleb. Today we finally got around to setting up iTunes on our "new" computer (the one we bought in August), and we downloaded the soundtracks to the new Muppets movie and the first Cars movie. Kid  is in music heaven. He dug this toy xylophone out of his toybox and sat playing it for a while. Then he had a stroke of genius and realized that the mallet could also be a microphone. He held it to his mouth while he strummed his guitar with the other hand. When I asked him to sing for me, he said, "The guitar is singin'!"

Also, I realized that I forgot to document for posterity the sweetest thing that happened yesterday morning. Daisy was napping, and Caleb needed a clean diaper. While we did the diaper change thing, he was being really, really whiny and uncooperative. A 60-second diaper change was taking more than five minutes when I just got fed up. I told Caleb that he was fussing and whining and it was making me feel frustrated, so I needed to leave the room. I left him in his room for a few minutes while I waited for my irritation to pass. Finally I felt calm enough to be patient with him, so I went back into his room. Caleb was still laying just where I had left him, diaperless in the middle of his rug. The only thing that had changed was that he was suddenly wearing his rain boots. He looked up at me from the floor and said, "I need a hug."
I needed a hug, too, so I sat down and held my arms out to him. He got up and walked into my arms. As I hugged him, he said, "I'm sorry for being so naughty." And then my heart melted. It was definitely his first spontaneous, heartfelt apology. What a good boy he is!

1 comment:

  1. oh how sweet! That is really very productive that you leave the room because it shows them that you are frustrated, but you aren't doing anything mean to take it out on them. That teaches them more how to handle anger.

    ReplyDelete