February 9

These kids. Oh, these kids. I love them so much, even when they frustrate me. I woke up with a headache this morning, and things were all out of whack. Daisy woke up somewhere around 4:30. I tried my best to nurse her back to sleep, but she was having none of it. Chris got up, ran, and showered, while I stayed in bed with Daisy, half-asleep, half-awake. Then he took her to play with him while he got ready for work. At 7, he handed her off to me. I took her into her room and nursed her right to sleep.

 Just as she was dozing off, I heard Caleb knocking on his bedroom door. That's his new thing; we finally have convinced him that when he wakes up, he doesn't have to lay in bed and yell for us or kick the wall. He can get up, open the door and come find us. He's getting pretty good at the whole thing, but the funny boy will stand at his door and knock ten or fifteen times before he opens it. So I heard Caleb knocking, put Daisy in her crib, and went to find Caleb.

We went into the kitchen to make his morning coffee. Caleb was really excited when I let him sit on the counter while I warmed up his coffee on the stove.

Yes, it's out of focus. Sorry.
And yes, our counters are still that horrible mustard yellow. What was it called when it was trendy? Harvest gold? Soon we will begin the task of painting cabinets and countertops, but not yet.

Daisy napped for nearly two hours, and was really excited when Caleb came in to wake her up. Who am I kidding? I love when Caleb wakes her up, too. He goes into her room, tiptoes to the crib, and says in a sweet little voice, "Good morning, Daisy! How was your nap?" I melt every time.

My darlings played together with the activity table. Daisy is still uninterested in pulling up or standing at it. Caleb is interested in the Spanish feature. He's gotten all confused with his ABCs and now sings, "Ah-bay-say-day-eh-effe-hay", then garbles the rest of it.

My headache worsened through the morning, so I fed the kids an early lunch and climbed into bed with an ice bag once they were asleep.

The downside of Caleb knowing that he can get out of bed? No more three-hour naps. Now we're looking at ninety minute naps. Hopefully it's just a fluke, but I have the feeling it's normal. Anyway, I'd only been asleep an hour when I heard Caleb's little hand knocking on his door. I called him into my room, and he climbed up in bed with me.

He was pretty interested in the ice bag.

"Oh! I have a headache!"

Later, Caleb shared his animal crackers with his sister. What a good boy.

Daisy can now scoot using only one hand.
She can also scoot using no hands, but it's more of a bounce with a forward motion. It's pretty funny, really.

I would like to point out how dire our flooring situation is. Behind Daisy, you will see:
hardwood floors
marble floors
a rough remnant of carpet, acting as an area rug
original, circa-1968 linoleum
the inch height difference between the marble and the linoleum
the baseboards that are painted half white, half beige because the beige part was once covered by carpet

The situation is visually apalling, but everything is functional. Also, I have no idea how to proceed. I hate that marble, but it's brand new, expensive, and nice. And what to cover the linoleum with?

Luckily, Daisy has learned to navigate the one-inch step pretty well.

She also handles an animal cracker pretty well.


No comments:

Post a Comment