January 2

I think Caleb only asked to go home once today.

Chris spent two hours last night trying to get our icemaker line hooked up; our plumber-friend Matt came by today and did it in literally thirty seconds. Talk about demoralizing.

But. Chris successfully hooked up our new gas clothes dryer, and I'm quickly getting caught up on laundry and learning how to use it.

Chris spent all day trying to install a new ceiling fan/light comboand wire it to two new switches in our bedroom. It's installed (wobbly, but installed) and wired,  but it doesn't work. Neither does the electricity in our bathroom, bedroom, and Caleb's room. We have no idea why.

But. I made our first dinner in the new house. Gas ranges are amazing. And my new gas oven may be tiny, but it's pretty great, too.

Chris goes back to work tomorrow. I'm not worried about finding my groove with the kids, but I am worried about my ever-increasing need to go grocery shopping. The only stores nearby are Schnucks and Dierbergs, but they're kind of pricey for this Aldi/Target/Shop n Save girl. Do I drive twenty minutes to the closest Aldi/Shop n Save combo, or suck it up and try to make Schnucks work?  Or should I just give in and do all of my shopping at the local 7-Eleven?

How about some pictures?
Today I showed Caleb how he can wear his drum around his neck and be the drummer boy.

Kid is really into his music.

No one taught him to do the big finish, he just does it.
When he finishes playing his guitar, he stands up, claps mightily for himself, and then takes a bow.
Where does he get this from? Certainly not me.

Daisy was impressed by her brother's drumming skills. Right before I took this picture, she was clapping for him.

She's his sister, but I think Daisy may also be Caleb's first groupie and the president of his fan club.
She adores everything he does, and I adore that.

Our two front rooms have large, beautiful windows. They don't open, but they provide a lovely view and let in insane amounts of sunlight. They're so big that the birds apparently don't realize the windows are there. Before we moved in I cleaned up a really big spot of bird feathers and blood on the front storm door; today I found two more feathery spots on the windows.
At least my windows seem to always win the battle! I wonder if homeowners' insurance would cover window repairs due to kamikaze birds?

Caleb napped. Daisy, who has a runny nose, snuggled with Daddy.

Daisy is a lucky girl.
So am I.

Last, have we talked about Caleb's cars fixation?
Yes, he's obsessed with the first Cars  movie. But then our former neighbor Xander gave him the best gift ever - a crate full of Hot Wheels and matchbox cars. Some are from the movie, and some are random cars. Caleb loves them.
 LOVES them.
Before naptime and bedtime, he always tucks two favored cars under his pillow.
 Two sit on the toilet lid and watch while he takes his bath.
At dinner, two sit by his plate and watch him eat.
Here, he's sitting on our bed, watching Daddy fight a losing battle with the ceiling fan. Joining him are his Lightning McQueen slippers, a Lightning McQueen car, and the blue racer.

Funny stuff, people. Funny stuff.

2 comments:

  1. schnucks has coupons and probably a keychain thingy for discounts? just shop the coupon flyer and it will help.
    try some colored paper taped to the door/windows or some window "clings" and the birdies will stop flying into your house! it can be really sad for the little guys if they see the birdie crash into the window!!
    wish i could send my handyman over to your house. he fixed my shaky fan years ago and i have been forever thankful!
    hugs to those cutie pies. how adorable is the drummer boy???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say do both on your grocery store dilemma. Drive the 20 minutes a couple of times and try to figure out how you can work a quick Schnucks run in here and there. I balance my shopping between WalMart, Schnucks and Aldi. You've just gotta find your groove. It'll come. :D

    ReplyDelete