May 17

Today was Day 2 of Home Alone: Mommy Edition.

Well, it wasn't a full day alone - I got Chris for the morning. Daisy had her 2-week checkup with the pediatrician at 8:30, so Chris took us out to breakfast at Bob Evans. (Gotta love it!) Aside from needing to nurse at the table right before our food came, Daisy was entirely cooperative and charmed all of the senior citizens in a 20-foot radius. 

Then the pediatrician. Daisy was a champ, but the doctor was not impressed by her weight gain. She's 13 days old today, and was an ounce to half an ounce short of regaining her birth weight. Specifically, she was 7 pounds, 8 ounces at birth and today she weighed somewhere between 7 pounds, 7 ounces and 7 pounds, 7.5 ounces. So we have to go back next week and have her re-weighed. And the doctor started talking about how I should pump and feed Daisy the pumped milk in addition to nursing her, but I started tuning her out around the time she said, "introduce a bottle at 2 weeks." I know I should listen, but I really think Daisy will figure it out on her own.

Then my midwife came this evening, and she weighed and examined Daisy, and deemed her perfect. She wasn't concerned about Daisy's weight, and her scale even indicated that Daisy weighed 7 pounds, 9 ounces. I was relieved, and so thankful that I have a second reliable source of medical information.

After all of that blabbing, you probably want a picture. Today was day 2 of my pre-running training. It involved a 30-minute walk. Yesterday was really cold, so I wore Daisy and pushed Caleb in our single stroller. Today was warmer, so I got out our shiny new BOB for its first two-baby excursion.

Daisy was swaddled in a flannel blanket, which caused her to fit nicely into the five-point harness. A little extra support around her head, and she was good to go! Daisy slept the whole time, and Caleb talked to me about everything he saw. "Go woods? Go woods? Cow! Pony! Saw pony! Little pond? Go away, noisy bird!" It's especially fun to go on walks now that he can communicate so well.

Before bedtime, Chris assembled a pile of books to read before he put Caleb down. The book on top was Duck in the Truck by Jez Alborough. The duck books, you'll remember, are Caleb's favorite. But Caleb misunderstood and thought Chris was putting away the book, not setting it out to read. He started fussing and crying, until I suggested Chris let him hold the book.
"You're not taking it from me, Daddy!"
What a funny boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment