October 7

We spent the morning with my mom and Ryan - breakfast, playing, lunch... It was lovely. Ryan (and Grandma's toys) entertained the big kids, and Grandma entertained the little one, and I got to relax and enjoy it all.

Sadly, I didn't bring my camera and my phone was buried deep in the diaper bag, so I have no photographic evidence of this lovely morning. I took a few shots on my mom's phone, but I'm betting she'll never let them see the light of day. But it did happen.

While the kids napped, I caught up some blogs. I came across this article about improving maternity photos, and was struck by the author's statement that she cherished a picture of her mother, pregnant with her. Then I read this blog, encouraging moms to get in front of the camera with their kids. My focus is always photographing my kids: documenting their milestones, charting their growth, capturing their developing personalities. It feels selfish or narcissistic or silly to ask someone to take my picture, or to take the time to set up a shot with me in it. But I'm starting to realize that it's anything but selfish.

When I think about it, pictures of my mom when she was pregnant with me, or nursing me, are some of my very favorite. I might not have appreciated them as much when I was young, but now that I'm in the thick of it? Those mean a lot to me. And I can tell by the look on Mom's face in those photos that she felt silly or self-conscious having her picture taken. I'm sure that at the time, she never even thought about her little baby being a 32-year-old mama, looking at those photos.

 And really, I'm not taking the pictures I post on this blog for me. I haven't written 1,262 blog posts and filled my hard drive because I have nothing better to do. I'm capturing memories, and preserving a piece of my children's childhood.

And you know what? 

I'm a pretty big piece of that childhood.

So I'll be in the picture every once in a while.

And today, thanks to the handy-dandy camera remote my dad gave me for Christmas last year, I was in the picture.

Daisy and Caleb were totally pumped to be in a picture with Mommy.
(or maybe they were just excited about the tripod. Whatev.)

Each kid got a turn to push the button on the remote. See it in Caleb's hand?
Daisy did not want to sit still. Girl was all over the place!

This is a more accurate picture of what life is like for us. We don't sit still. We don't pose.

And Caleb? Possibly the sweetest little boy ever. I am so thankful that I have such an affectionate, loving, responsible son. I hope he stays that way!

As for Daisy...
her excuse is that she's two, a free spirit, and just a smidge like her mother.
Gosh, I love her.

And sweet Lily? She may have milk-volcano and evening-sleeping issues, but otherwise she is such a happy, funny baby. I am so blessed to have these three. 

3 comments:

  1. Good morning, Carrie;
    Another beautiful story today. I love the way you have your life's priorities lined up. Thank you for sharing and allowing me to have a peek into your family's life style. Your blog is the first thing I read each morning.
    Shirley Ferguson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this blog. I love taking pictures of Cooper and I always feel kinda silly asking someone to take a picture of me and him. I love pictures of mama's and young children. this will help me to remember we NEED to be in pictures too! :)

    ReplyDelete