October 17

It was a school day for Caleb. He tried to wear the same Spider Man t-shirt that he wore to school on Tuesday (it had been washed, because come on - I'm Super Mom), and when I told him he needed to pick a different shirt, he collapsed into a sobbing fit on his bedroom floor. 

The kid literally collapses - crumbles - and flops on the floor wailing anytime something doesn't go his way. 

I have no idea what to do about it.

While he was at school, Daisy painted at her easel and I tried to work on Lily's curtains. Lily did everything in her power to prevent me from accomplishing anything. 

At one point, Daisy accompanied me in to check on the no-longer-napping Lily. Daisy decided that what her sister needed was a pacifier. Who am I to stop her? I'd love it if the baby took a paci! So I let Daisy try.
"Here, Lily! Take your paci!"
(FYI, Daisy dressed herself today. I had no input on that outfit.)

"She taking it, Mommy! She taking it!"
and then Lily spit it out.

Over and over and over again. 
I think someone (or two someones) grew a little bit frustrated. By the end of the endeavor, Daisy was instructing Lily, "Take it! Take it! Take it!"
But it didn't work.

Then it was time to go get Caleb. He's always appreciative if I bring a cup of water for him when I pick him up. Today I brought a smoothie. I always ask about his day on the way home, and he rarely says much. I can usually get him to tell me what he ate for a snack (Pop-Tarts again. Ugh. How can they call that nutritious food? That is nothing but junk.) and get him to answer a few yes or no questions. That's it.

I'm beginning to wonder what having a teenager will be like.

But he woke up from his (long, late) nap eager to talk. He climbed up on my bed, where I was tending a just-woken Lily, and began telling me about his day. 
It was really sweet. He told me that he finally played at the Play-Doh center (usually it's too crowded) and that he was happy to use the Play-Doh we had made. He seems to avoid the other kids. He has mentioned a few other kids, and knows all of their names, but doesn't seem to seek any of them out. During "choice time", he chooses where to spend his time based on which center has the least people at it.

I'm a little concerned about his social skills.
(I'm also a little concerned about his outfit, but he was really pleased with it. I tried to tell him that the kelly green shirt with the olive green pants was a bad idea, but he insisted that green shirt and green pants go together. Whatev.)

Those fifteen minutes of talking were really sweet. 

Also sweet?
This: 
I think maybe he's just a really sensitive child, and is trying to figure out how to cope in a world he can't control. I just wish I knew how to help him learn to be resilient and not give up.

We'll get there, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment