October 10

The kids and I walked  Caleb to school this morning. Caleb's class is talking about Fall and nature, so we collected "treasures" along the way. Our final tally:
one acorn without a hat
one red leaf
two pinecones
one seed pod.
An iPhone selfie of us on our walk. Lily was actually smiling, not fussing, and Daisy put those mittens on all by herself. On the way to school, Caleb sits in the footwell of our stroller. That means I'm pushing 75 pounds of children, plus 34 pounds of stroller. (I just googled that - can't believe my BOB weighs 34 pounds! I'm pushing 110 pounds while I walk! No wonder those hills feel so tough!)
On the way home, I ran with the girls. I think I made it up to one mile of running this time.

When the girls and I got home from our walk/run, I noticed that I was feeling a bit... tender. I messaged my doctor's office, then posted on a forum on Facebook about it. My doctor (who happens to be an internationally board certified lactation consultant, and who also happens to be on maternity leave) saw my post and diagnosed me via Facebook with early/sub-clinical mastitis.

Boo. 

I have nursed my three children for a combined total of at least 40 months (and counting) and have never before had a brush with mastitis. Luckily, I caught it before it became infected. Even luckier is that I have a friend who is a peer lactation counselor who was able to direct me to some great information about how to treat it. I'm hoping that nursing and resting will have me back to normal in no time!

In the meantime, I'm trying to lay low. So if it means dressing the kids up in costumes and letting them run amok, I am all about it.

They started out with Caleb as Superman and Daisy as Wonder Woman, but then they switched.
I forced Caleb to put shorts on under the dress; otherwise, he would have been running about in his royal blue undies.

I cannot even begin to describe how much Caleb loves this costume.

Daisy quickly grew tired of being Superman and decided to write with chalk.
"D-A-I-S-Y... that spells 'Caleb'!"
Not quite, babe!

While the big ones played, Lily and I made an ineffective attempt to dodge mosquitoes on the porch.

Caleb decided that his pumpkin was actually Wonder Woman's invisible jet.

And if Caleb does something, then Daisy has to do it, too!

But Lily? She just laughs at her two crazy siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment