October 18

I'm not going to lie - Caleb and Daisy have been challenging lately. So when Amber reminded me that we had scheduled a playdate today, I was so excited. Her kids are so good at entertaining mine, and such good examples, too: they're the most independent, mature children I know. We decided to take a trip to the zoo, and ended up with perfect fall weather.

We rode the carousel (twice), then headed to the Children's Zoo to brush the goats.
Caleb was delighted to be reunited with his friend, Goaty the Goat who Loves All Goats, and his brother who is also named Goaty the Goat who Loves All Goats. And today Caleb also met Horny the Goat who Loves All Horned Goats.

Apparently brushing goats is really, really funny.

Even Daisy got the giggles!

We headed inside to warm up, and Daisy found a sand table. She wasn't even slightly interested in anything else.

Caleb liked the aquarium because it had a little skeleton that jiggled and danced when air bubbles blew past it.

Five of our seven children, roughly looking at the camera, all smiling. I call that a win!
(Also, are we blessed or what? That between us, Amber and I have seven beautiful, healthy children? When I met Amber nearly twenty years ago (!), I never could have imagined this.)

Caleb took this (blurry, not-quite-flattering) shot of us. I like it because you can see how Lily rocked most of the trip.

That sea lion tunnel does something for me. When I'm underneath it, I can almost pretend I'm on a tropical beach somewhere... That, and it's really cool to watch the sea lions swim overhead.

Those five kids again! What fun!

Daisy really likes Catherine.

At the end of our visit, I was trying to rush us out. But Caleb really wanted to have his picture taken in the photo cut-outs. I wasn't willing to break pace to do it, but Catherine grabbed Amber's big camera and took Caleb's picture like a pro!

After naps, Daisy got to work helping Lily practice with the pacifier.
Still no luck.
But aren't they cute in their Cardinals gear?

And this is how we "watched" the game tonight: 
In the tent, fire blazing in the fire pit, Cards game on the radio.

We have never tried camping with the kids, so Chris set the tent up on the deck. Inside is a queen-sized air mattress with a sleeping bag. three blankets, two head lamps, and a flashlight. Oh, and two king-sized pillows. I made this hot cocoa, and we all hung out. Even Lily was in there, chilling on the air mattress! Daisy put her Cardinals shirt on over her jammies, and Chris and the big kids prepared to sleep there. 

Daisy lasted until 9:30. As I type this, Chris and Caleb are still in the tent at 11:00. The forecast says rain is coming, so I'm not sure how much longer they'll last. But what fun it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment