October 21

Lily had her first appointment with our doctor this morning! (I don't want you to think we're negligent parents - our midwife's scope of practice covers babies up to four weeks, and since she shares office space with our doctor, and our doctor has had a baby and been on maternity leave for the past three months, it just worked out this way.)

Lily's three month stats:
12 pounds, 10 ounces (52nd percentile)
24 inches tall (75th percentile)
41.5 cm head circumference (75th percentile)

She rocked the developmental milestones checklist, is a month ahead in her raspberry-blowing skills, and giggled through her hip rotation exam. The doctor stopped short of declaring her a perfectly formed prodigy, but I'm pretty sure it was implied.

She did notice that Lily's tongue has a bit of restriction, just like Caleb and Daisy's did. That's right - we're 3 for 3 with tongue-tied babies (check out more info about tongue tie here). But since Lily's tongue tie doesn't seem to be impairing her function, we can choose to correct it or ignore it. I think we may choose to address it  now; with Caleb, we didn't realize he was tongue tied until he was well over two. We chose to correct it when he was three because the tight frenulum was causing his lower teeth to pull inward, and we learned that unless we had the tongue tie released, this would always be the case, even if he had braces. The  tongue tie release procedure is much less traumatic for an infant than for a toddler (and for said infant or toddler's parents!), so I think we'll choose to be proactive about it with Lily.

Caleb and Daisy were spectacularly well-behaved during the hour we spent at the doctor's office, then during the half-hour we spent at the fabric store immediately afterwards. I was really proud of them, but mostly relieved. Caleb and Daisy have been out of sorts for a while now, and Chris and I have been at a loss for what to do or change in our parenting and responses to their behavior. But thanks to the counsel of some wise friends and the truth spoken by our pastor at church, I've come to the conclusion that I am not personally responsible for their behavior, and that since we already have good practices in place, the only thing we can do right now is pray. So Chris and I have made a concerted effort to pray for and pray with our children. Chris prayed with Caleb this morning before he left for work, we are praying with them at bedtime and nap time, and we are praying with them when there are discipline issues. Prayer is powerful, and I trust that God will give us wisdom, discernment, and patience to deal with the children. So that's where we are.

My  sweet boy. After a recent tantrum regarding a superhero shirt (he wanted to wear the Spider Man shirt; he had to, because he was already wearing the Spider Man underwear!!!), I put away all of his superhero t-shirts and undies. But Caleb unearthed this muscle shirt, and has been wearing it with a long-sleeved shirt underneath. It's a creative solution, so I don't mind.
He loves his baby sister so much! Tonight he was excited to let her "ride" on his shoulders. At nap time, he lays down in his bed. I place Lily in the crook of his arm, and he snuggles her tight while he and I imagine together. 
At bedtime tonight, Chris had a headache. Caleb offered to pray for him, and prayed, "Dear God, thank you for this day. Thank you for your love and for your grace. I pray that you would make Daddy's head stop hurting and take away his pain. Thank you for your grace. A-men."

I love that boy.

(Also, we don't often watch TV. But today I was watching the Ellen Degeneres Show while I worked on Lily's curtains and the kids slept. Caleb woke up from his nap and wanted to watch the "grown-up show" with me. We had the pleasure of watching this segment of cat videos. I wish I had recorded Caleb laughing at the cat/windshield wiper one. It was the kind of laugh that is balm for the soul. Tonight before baths, we watched the clip again, with Daisy this time. She was just as enthralled, shouting, "Do it 'gain! Do it 'gain!" at the cat. You should watch it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment