August 3

I am typing this with one hand while Lily sleeps on my chest. Please forgive any typos.

We attempted our first full grocery shopping excursion with three children this afternoon, and it went remarkably well. I know that it's really hard for a newborn to be a "bad" baby - they're all pretty good at this age - but Lily is definitely a good baby. She's just easy. I hope she stays that way!

I snapped this one last night, after I had put up yesterday's post. This was how Chris kept Lily happy while I typed. She's always happiest when she's snuggled up with someone. So is he, apparently.

Sweet Lily, after our shopping excursion. Shopping wasn't today's only excitement, though. Two other awesome things happened:
1. Lily had her second bath today! She didn't like it any better than the first time.
2. Lily's umbilical cord stump fell off today!
 (At this point, we're still celebrating the small milestones. Although her new belly button is pretty disgusting looking, so I'm not sure it should be celebrated... I don't remember the other children having disgusting-looking belly buttons... Chris thinks it looks like a direct portal to her intestines. I assured him that is not possible, but now I realize that I have nothing to support my claim. Are we really looking at her organs? It doesn't seem like our bodies would do something so ridiculous...)

Poor Lily. Something tells me that she will spend the rest of her life being embarrassed by her parents.

Oh - and there's Chris, with Daisy! Daisy's clumsy spell continues: today she was walking on the sidewalk with Chris and she randomly tripped and fell, scraping her chin. I'm assuming there's some sort of developmental thing going on that's causing her to be so clumsy all of a sudden; maybe she's growing? Who knows. I just can't wait until this phase is over!

3 comments:


  1. Hi, Carrie;
    My name is Shirley Ferguson, and I know your mom from Rehab. She thought I would like your story, so she gave me your blog. And she was sooo right – I’ve read it all and I’m so impressed. I love the way you and your husband interact with your children. All the pictures are so cute – I love the one on July 22, where Daisy is holding out her arms to take Lily; and the one of Lily’s “piggies” – that’s what we call them; and the one of Caleb lying on the bed in disappointment that the new baby’s name is not Rainbow. And you gave him such a sweet answer. I just wanted to let you know I’ll be reading your blog every morning about 5 a.m., and occasionally I’ll make a comment. Thank you for sharing your story.
    This is the fourth time I’ve tried to comment. There’s no “send” or “post”, so I’ll just keep clicking.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, thank you for your sweet comment! I'm sorry Blogger makes it so hard to comment on posts, but I appreciate that you tried until it worked. It makes my heart happy to know that someone else is interested in our little goings-on. Thanks for reading!
      Carrie

      Delete
  2. ...about Daisy being clumsy...
    When I was very young, I entered a phase of clumsiness, too. I would run into car doors, trip and fall, just ridiculous things for no apparent reason. Turns out, I had (have) atrocious eye sight. Got a fabulous pair of pink plastic glasses and never looked back. I wonder if this is what is happening with Daisy??

    Also, Lily is gorgeous and an obvious perfect addition to the Rife clan!

    ReplyDelete