August 27

Do you remember last April, when I ran a half marathon?

I haven't run a race since then.

Until today. And what a day it was.


It was a beautiful morning for a race.

Daisy chilled in the BOB while Caleb and Chris played on the beach of Creve Coeur Lake.

One of the reasons we chose to run this race?
Fredbird.
Ryan, Max, and Emily came out to cheer me on as I ran. Or maybe they just came to see Fredbird...

Fredbird even made time to visit with all of our babies!
(That's Max, then Caleb, then Daisy. It was hard for Chris to get a good picture because the kids were all crowding Fredbird. I couldn't push the kids out of the way because I was busy running.)

Apparently I left a little too much energy out on the course - at the finish line, I had enough energy to leap into the air and high-five Fredbird. (No, I'm not kidding. Yes, I know I'm ridiculous.)

First post-Daisy race: done.
And done faster than I anticipated - even with an awkward bathroom break, I still averaged a 10:40 pace. (I know. I'm slow. But I'm not going to begrudge my post-baby body anything. I'm proud of it for accomplishing what it has accomplished, and I will work to accomplish even more.)

Then, the best part:
the kids' 1/4 mile fun run

Also known as "Caleb's first race".

The big kids took off with a vengeance!

Look! Our friends Catherine (in the yellow) and Mary (in the pink)!

 I'm pretty sure I heard their mom, Amber (who ran the big race, too, and blew my pace to smithereens. Way to go, Amber!), verify to Catherine that she was the fastest four-year-old girl out there.

And waaaayy in the back... Caleb! 
He needed a little bit of coaxing and instruction at first.

But once he figured out the "race" part, he was so excited and proud to be running! He actually ran right past the finish line, and kept on running!

I got him to stop running and turn around by telling him that Fredbird had a medal for him. He waited patiently in line amongst the crush of other children.

He was so proud when he got his medal from Fredbird!


He ran to show Daddy his prize.

Max and Ryan were excellent fans! I could tell that Max was itching to burst out of his stroller and run his own race.

And after all of the kids were gone, Caleb said, "Want to run some more!" and took off on the path.

After we got home, cleaned up, ate lunch, and put Caleb down for a nap, Daisy and I had some quality time. 
This photo has officially convinced me - Daisy looks just like I did as a baby! People always ask us who she looks like, and I've never had an answer until now. It's me!

Only she's way cuter than I ever was.

And she has her Daddy's monkey toes.
(That crab is her favorite toy right now. When she sees it coming, she smiles and kicks her legs in excitement!)

And now I'm going to bed. What a long day it's been!


No comments:

Post a Comment