April 6

Caleb slept in this morning. It's a rare and beautiful thing, but he was still up before Eli and I got out of bed. When I found him, he was sitting at the kitchen table, reading instead of eating. Then Eli found him, and Caleb showed Eli the pictures in his book. Eli was fascinated.
This right here is one of the many reasons I love homeschooling. I am 100% certain that Eli and Caleb would not have the relationship they do if Caleb was at school all day, and I look forward to watching that bond and connection grow.

Today was the last day of this session of Caleb's swim and fitness class, and we aren't going back anymore. I have to say I'm relieved. As much as I think it was good for him to have regular interaction with other kids his age, the whole thing was a scheduling nightmare for our family. My primary goal is for Caleb to be ready to join the neighborhood swim team in the summer, so I asked his teacher what she thought about putting Caleb in swim lessons in addition to the swim and fitness class. After a quick assessment, she told me that she thought he would see more improvement if he did swim lessons twice a week, and dropped the swim and fitness class. 
She didn't have to tell me twice! Now, instead of spending the whole morning preparing for and attending that class, we will take Caleb to swim lessons on Wednesday after dinner, and on Saturday morning. So much easier for me!

After his swim and fitness class, we had lunch in the van on the way to Speech Club. After speech, we got home just in time for naps all around, and when I finished putting the girls down, Gayle was here to pick up Caleb for her special time with him. I was able to enjoy snuggling and nursing Eli to sleep, then I worked for a little bit on my photography website. I've taken a break from the business part, but I am revamping my pricing strategies, and ready to dive back in.

When Eli woke up, I caught up on two days' worth of wrap challenge carries.
Day 5 was Kangaroo Carry:
We liked this one quite a bit! Can you tell Eli is still groggy from his nap? He probably would have been content if I just held and rocked him for another hour, but ain't nobody got time for that.
One thing I love: Eli loves to be worn. If he's fussy, I will often ask him, "Eli, do you want to go up?" He immediately crawls over to me, turns around, and assumes the position for me to lift him up on my back. Once I start wrapping him, people tell me that he just grins at them. I love that wearing my baby is so convenient for me, but also so comforting for him. It's a double win.
Also, I love the way this wrap looks. It's a thick twill wrap, which means that it is harder to wrap with than my normal wraps. Honestly, it's not the one I reach for because it is harder to work with. But once I get Eli up, the thick weave is so much more supportive. And I love the pattern, so it stays.

Eventually Eli decided he was ready to be awake, and down. But then he wanted back up again, so we moved on to Day 6's carry: a torso carry. 
This one was not so great. Think about wrapping a towel around your chest, then tucking it in to make it stay. That's basically a torso carry. Add a wiggly  baby to the mix, and that top part of the wrap is not nearly as tight as it needs to be. Luckily, the bottom of the wrap is secure, so he doesn't fall. It's just not comfortable.

Chris got home, dinner got made, and the kids gobbled up the white fish and snow peas and almonds with browned butter. I was pleasantly surprised. Then it was time for Caleb's training run. I totally wanted to skip it, because it was cold and gray out. But Chris suggested a family run, and Caleb was agreeable.

We had so much fun! 
This is Caleb's ninth training run. Tomorrow is a rest day, so after his run on Friday, I will fulfill my promise to get him real running shoes. He is totally excited.
Also, look at how happy my children are. Chris stopped just down the block and let Lily out of the stroller to run home, and we cheered for her as she ran into the driveway. She was so proud of herself! Daisy tried to run with us from the playground home, but got tired. Still, she tried mightily, and also felt victorious when she finished her run. And Caleb started out super fast, and commented at the end of the run that he didn't complain at all - and he was really proud of that. I love my sweet boy, and I am proud of him.

Then we played baseball. Chris ordered a new bat for Caleb, and it arrived yesterday, so the boys  hit a few balls with it. Of course, then the girls wanted a turn, too.

Daisy made contact several times, but didn't actually hit the ball like she hoped she would. There may have been a tantrum or two.

This boy was riding high on his post-run endorphins, as well as the glory of several great hits with his new bat.

And this boy just chased a somewhat deflated ball around the yard.

Hi, Eli! He has reached the point where he can throw the ball, roll the ball, and chase after the ball. He doesn't even need me anymore!

Chris helped Lily with her grip, and she was so excited to be playing with the big kids!

She totally missed that ball, and she totally didn't care.

Also tonight, we ordered another set of bunk beds and two mattresses. Our long-term goal is for all four kids to share one room, and they are so excited about that! Obviously, Eli isn't ready to move in with the big kids, but Lily is. Once we finish building and installing the built-ins, the room will comfortably accomodate both sets of bunk beds. When the time comes that the kids no longer like the idea of all sleeping in one room, the beds can be split up into twin beds and distributed back into their respective bedrooms. But for now, they can't wait! We told them at dinner about the second set of bunk beds, and as soon as we were done eating, Lily ran into Caleb and Daisy's room to see if the beds had arrived yet. She'll have to wait about a week, but hopefully they'll come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment