April 18

We have a china cabinet in our dining room, and front and center is a beautiful hot chocolate set that came from my dad's great-grandma (I think). As a child, I always admired it in my parents' china cabinet, and told my mom that when she died, I wanted it to be mine. Mom decided I shouldn't have to wait until she died to have it, and so it has lived in our house for several years now. It must have caught Daisy's eye, too, because a few weeks ago she asked me if we could get it out and use it. 
I decided a hot chocolate party with her grandmas would be fun, and when we learned that Grace and Sally would both be in town this week, it became an early birthday party for Daisy and a late birthday party for Grace, with all of the ladies in the family.

Daisy was so excited; for the past two weeks she has asked daily if it was time for her hot chocolate party. She decided we should all dress up, and even told me exactly what I should wear. ( A dress - my Easter dress! - high heels, earrings, my wedding ring, and lipstick. The girl knows what it looks like when Mama is being fancy!) Today finally came, and Daisy could barely contain her excitement.

She is wearing a new dress that was a gift from Grandmother, and she asked me to put her hair up in a bun. And yes, I even let her wear a little bit of lipstick because we were being fancy.

I just love this. Right before I took this picture, Daisy ran inside, found the tiara, and put it on. She is so happy to be with her beautiful aunties and Grandmother!

Even though it was supposed to be a ladies-only party, we let Caleb be part of it. Otherwise, he would have been devastated! Don't you love his "fancy" outfit? And Lily knew exactly what she would wear - a hand-me-down party dress that she calls her "Sophia Dress."

And here are my sweeties with Jenny and Grandma! Can you tell that Daisy is getting tired of pictures? 
(Eli was sleeping; for once in his life, he went down quickly for a perfectly timed nap. Thanks, little man!)

Daisy with the hot chocolate set that spawned our party. I got out the linen tablecloths and the good china, and we had such a special little party! It was such a simple little event, but it was obvious that to Daisy, it was huge. 

I cannot  believe this sweet girl will be five years old in two weeks!

I also cannot believe that Sally and Grace both live so far away. Our lives are so much more fun when they're here!

Do you think Lily enjoyed her hot cocoa?

Funny story: Gayle brought Daisy a bouquet of daisies, and my mom brought Daisy and Grace each a bouquet of lilies of the valley. So for the party, our flowers were... daisies and lilies! Ha!

After all of the hot chocolate and sweet treats were consumed, Lily slipped out of the room. I found her like this, "reading" Green Eggs and Ham to herself. 
I had no idea she knew all of the words, but she did!

Then we went outside to play. I love having family over to play with the kids; it's so nice when there are more adults than children, and each child gets love and attention!

Eli woke up and enjoyed some snuggles with his Grandmother.

We hung up the wrap swing again, so that Lily and Caleb could each have a turn. They were appropriately impressed.


And then Eli showed us his new skill: 
Yeah, he can climb up slides now.

All the way up.

All the way up big, tall slides.

I'm going to have to keep my eye on this one!

He was so proud of himself at the top! Gayle was so proud of him, too! Then he found all sorts of sticks in the clubhouse and entertained himself by sending them down the slide.

Watching the stick slide down.

Sally swiped Caleb's fancy hat and entertained him by blowing bubbles, then naming every single one. It was hilarious.

And then back up the slide, this time with Lily right behind him!

Later, my mom commented that Daisy was silent during the hot cocoa party. After everyone left, I asked Daisy if she had enjoyed herself. She grinned up at me and used her biggest, most serious voice to shout, "YES!"
Alright, then! It makes me so happy that something so simple can make my little girl so happy. I am thankful for family  who love her so well!

Oh, and I'm still doing my 30-day wrapping challenge. Today was day 18, which is Double Hammock with fancy finishes.
Eli was happy on the ground, but Daisy was eager to try out my new wrap, so I hoisted my nearly-five-year-old up onto my back for a Double Hammock with a mangled Saltwater finish. I was super impressed with the new wrap, or maybe it was the carry. Either way, Daisy felt weightless up there!
(I have no explanation for her face. Sorry.)

1 comment:

  1. I love the fancy hot chocolate party - soooo stinking cute!! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete