April 27

Did you notice that I got all caught up on the blog? Because I did. I was 6 days behind on blogging, and now I am caught up like a boss. I may not have dominated much today, but I dominated this blog like a boss. If only it paid me money.

We did approximately zero school today. But the kids helped me tidy up the house, and Caleb spent time with Grandmother, and there was swimming, and lots of reading.

There were also super heroes. 
I have no idea what prompted this, but it was hilarious. Eli was napping, but Lily excitedly ran around the house yelling that Wonder Dog was asleep and we had to be quiet. Apparently Eli is Wonder Dog? The 5k we have been training for is this Saturday, and it's a superhero 5k, so the kids all discussed what they would wear for the event. Caleb and I even chose a super hero shirt for me! 

After lunch, the girls went down for naps and Caleb went off with Gayle, and Eli and I were left to our own devices for an hour or so, until he was ready for his nap, too.

He is getting so close to standing independently, so I brought my camera into his room to document the big event if it happened. It didn't. But this did:

(This is a two-minute video of Eli stacking blocks. It is probably much too long. Don't judge me. He's my last baby, and I think he is adorable.)

Also, this happened with the camera:

He is very curious right now.

I was supposed to make dinner while Caleb was gone and the little ones slept, but instead I spent an hour playing with Eli, and then another hour dominating my blog. Oops. Everyone was still asleep when Caleb got home, and he grabbed a magazine and settled in on the couch.

Some days, home schooling looks like this around here:
Part of me feels really guilty about that, but the other part of me thinks it is one of the best parts of home schooling. (All of me is concerned about that off-center painting, but whatever. I'll address that later.) Most days, we do actual "school". But every once in a while, Caleb just reads all day, and I am going to say that this is okay.
(Also, his little feet sticking out over the edge of the couch? It's killing me. He's not even big enough to sit on the couch with his legs bent! He seems like such a big boy to me, but it takes pictures like this to remind me that he is six years old. SIX. He's practically a baby!)

This boy. I don't know if it's his age, or the home schooling, or what, but I am falling more and more in love this with boy. He is funny and obedient and thoughtful and creative, and I am so glad that he is mine.

Then Lily woke up. And Eli woke up. And the silence was gone, and dinner still wasn't made. But Grandmother had left candy, which bought me a whole lot of time.

Lily shared her candy with Eli, which made both Eli and me very happy.

I love Lily and her bedhead.

And Caleb just continued to read. I think this was his Boy Scouts Boys Life magazine.

So the kids were happy, but it was too late to make dinner at that point because Caleb had swim lessons at 6:20. My good husband was gracious and understanding when I told him we needed to make alternate dinner plans, and we soon found ourselves at the Mexican restaurant. Hooray!

Eli was pleased, and there was a margarita for me. This day was very good for my mental health.

Then straight to the YMCA for swim lessons. Chris swam with the little ones while I exercised, and I came back down to help everyone get changed after swimming. Miss Lily wore a dress to the YMCA, but after swimming, she was adamant that she needed a t-shirt. 
She didn't pack a t-shirt, but she needed a t-shirt.
Luckily, Eli had spare clothes in his diaper bag, and those spare clothes for my small 15-month-old just so happen to fit my two and a half year old daughter perfectly.

Lily was really proud of herself in Eli's unsnapped onesie, too-short pants, and her shoes on the wrong feet. That girl.

On the way home, Daisy suggested we stop and watch the sun set over the lake. It's hard to argue with a suggestion like that!

The pictures lie, though; it was not a spectacular sunset at all. A wall of clouds on the horizon blocked our view of the setting sun, and it was pretty boring. We left early because bedtime. Still, I'm glad we gave it a shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment