October 23

After months of training, anticipation, and dread, half marathon day arrived. I left  before sunrise, leaving Chris to wake, dress, and feed the children (apparently not necessarily in that order), then pop them in the car and head to the race. Luckily, my mom came along to help Chris and cheer for me, and things seemed to go pretty smoothly. I'm piecing together the story of the morning from the photos I found on my camera.

Chris and Caleb raced up and down the sidewalk as they waited for me at mile six.
(Can you tell it was a beautiful morning? Sixties and sunny - what more can you ask for?)

Daisy chewed on the half-marathon pinwheel as she waited for my arrival.

I saw Caleb from far off, and called his name. He ran to me, yelling, "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" and I almost burst with joy. All of the runners around me were smiling and laughing, too.

As I ran on, the fam headed toward mile 9.5.

Caleb was apparently more interested in playing with the traffic cones than cheering for the runners.

I can't say that I blame him - traffic cones are appealing, and runners are grumpy, sweaty, and stinky.

I guess he did some high kicks to pass the time?

At the finish line - I ran a great race. It may have been a personal record for me, but now I can't seem to remember exactly how many half marathons I've run. If I've only run four, then it was a PR. If I've run more, then it may not have been.

It doesn't really matter. What matters is that Caleb was very concerned with the Arch, and very upset that we wouldn't take him to see Busch Stadium while we were downtown.

Caleb and Chris made signs for me. One says "My Mommy is Superfast!!!" The other says "Go, Mommy, Go! Keep rockin the race" and features Caleb's illustrations, including a cardinal, a blue jay, shoes, a shirt, and Mom.

Daisy, meanwhile, was out cold. Apparently she finds road races to be a bit boring.

heart.
What a good day.

And my mama, who helped make it all possible. Thanks, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment