November 29

Whew! Two late nights in a row, and I'm feeling it. The big kids didn't get to bed until 10 last night, and Lily kept me up well past midnight. And here I am again tonight - big kids went down around 9:30, and I'm just starting to write this post at 11:15. Late nights, disrupted routines, and the behavior issues that accompany them are my least favorite part of the holidays. Every once in a while is fine, but when they start stacking on top of each other, things get rough!

Tonight was a late night because we headed out to our zoo's Christmas light display with Chris' sisters. Grace and Sally braved the cold with us last year, too, so perhaps this is a tradition in the making? It wasn't quite so cold this year, and we came amply provisioned with grain-free gingerbread cookies and honey-sweetened hot cocoa.

Lily and I stayed on the sidelines and watched while everyone else rode the carousel. Daisy chose to ride the okapi!

Sally rode the ostrich,

And Grace wanted to ride an animal, but gamely accompanied Caleb on the bench instead. What a good auntie!

I love this shot of Chris and his sisters and the kiddos!

Daisy refused to be in this shot of our family.

But once I agreed to snuggle her, she got in the picture. Funny girl. I love the hot cocoa smeared all around her mouth. She must have inherited her father's messy chocolate eating skills.

Caleb was beyond happy tonight: Christmas lights, yummy sweets, and two doting aunties to follow him around and play whatever games he wanted? It was little boy heaven.

Lily was a trooper the whole evening. She stayed warm and cozy in her bear suit, and was happy to be snuggled by her aunties at the end of the night.

She definitely got her share of squeezes and kisses tonight!

We all had an impromptu dance party in the plaza before we headed home. 
(Yes, Daisy is still smeared in chocolate. I suppose I should have pulled the old mom trick and spit-cleaned her, but I just couldn't do it.)

We are thankful for family!

No comments:

Post a Comment