November 22

Oh, my. What a busy morning we had! I suppose it wasn't really that bad, but it was quite the endeavor for me. I took all three kids to Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Costco. But really, just getting out the door was the first struggle. Caleb decided he didn't want to go, and the only way he would go was in costume. So we settled on a weather-appropriate costume (Bat Man and Darth Vader were out because it was raining and the legs were apt to get soggy), but he flipped out because I told him that he couldn't bring a sword into the stores with him. Really. Meanwhile, Daisy wanted a costume, too. She asked over and over again for a shepherd costume, which I thought was odd. We have lots of costumes, but no shepherd costumes. Finally, I realized that she was saying she wanted to wear a "chef-er" costume. Like, a chef costume. Only she got it confused with "shepherd", and called it "chef-er". Ha! So while Caleb flipped out over every aspect of his costume, Daisy happily played with her chef costume, measuring beans into a bowl with her little measuring spoons.

Caleb spent so long freaking out about his costume that Daisy got bored being a chef-er and took the costume off, and I decreed that Caleb could not wear a costume since it was upsetting him so much. So we headed out without any costumes.

By the time we left the house, it was almost time for Lily to nap again. Unfortunately, poor Lily (whose fever is better, thank you) has reached the stage where she no longer instantly falls asleep in the ERGO. She's much more interested in checking out all of the sights when we're out and about. So even though she was due for a nap while we ran errands, she totally didn't sleep. We left Costco at 11:15, when she had been awake for at least 3 hours. I took her out of the ERGO and buckled her into her car seat first, then loaded Caleb and Daisy into their seats, then put the groceries in the trunk. By the time I was done putting everyone and everything into the car, Lily was sound asleep, despite the fact that Caleb was squealing loudly next to her.

Sleep, little one!
(I love how hard she's working just to sleep. You can see her little brow furrowed in concentration...)

We got home and I just didn't have the heart to move her quite yet, so I got Caleb and Daisy out, then began bringing in our purchases. Each year I like to get each child a special Christmas ornament that represents what they most love at the time (a tradition I believe I stole from my dear friend Amber's family...?), and today we found Caleb and Daisy's ornaments for 2013 at Target. I didn't even have everything out of the car before Daisy came running, yelling, "Mommy! Mommy! I put my orma-memt onna tree! I did it all by myself!" She was so proud!
 
Daisy chose Hello, Kitty! this year.

And Caleb?
Darth Vader. Of course he chose Darth Vader.

I ended up letting Lily nap in the car (with the car door open and the door to the garage open so I could hear her if she woke) for over half an hour. Once everything was unloaded and Caleb and Daisy were happily eating lunch, I brought Lily in and got her back to sleep. That tired baby slept another three hours! Hopefully she still sleeps tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment