June 30

I am typing this while wearing Daisy strapped to my chest in my ERGObaby carrier. She's had a rough evening, but now she's sleeping peacefully. (She did pause in the midst of that peaceful sleep to wake up screaming, then spew chunky spit-up down my arm, on my jeans, and on the floor. But it's been mostly peaceful.)

The best part of today happened early this morning.

Caleb, Daisy and I ate breakfast on the patio. It sounds so simple, but it was a really beautiful moment for us. The weather was perfect, the kiddos were cheerful, there was fresh fruit to be had, and my husband had made me a pot of hazelnut half-caf before he left for work. Eating outside is one of my favorite things ever, and it was so much fun to share a delightful morning with my children.

I made Caleb a patio-friendly breakfast of whole wheat toast with peanut butter and grapes. When I proudly set it down in front of him, he looked up at me and said, "Fork."

Because a fork was clearly required for this meal.

So I got up from my seat and went back inside to fetch the child a fork. If he wants to use utensils, who am I to stop him?

Daisy had already eaten her breakfast, so she didn't join us in the eating, but she was quite content to enjoy the blowing breeze and singing birds from her rocker.

"FORK!"
Yep. That's a fork, kiddo.

Completely unrelated note: today before naptime, Caleb and I read Sandra Boynton's book, Night-night, Little Pookie. We finished reading the book, I turned off the light, and I held him to my chest for a little bit. Caleb reached up, caressed my hair, and said, "Night-night Pookie ears. Night-night Pookie nose. Night-night Pookie eyes ready to close."

It was a nearly perfect quotation from the book. This kid has a crazy memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment