March 20

We still have the weekend, but today is the last weekday of spring break. The weather was supposed to be lovely - partly sunny and 63 degrees - so Chris took the day off work and we went to the zoo.

Well. The weather didn't pan out; we were at the zoo from 9 am to 1 pm, and the temperature never rose above 47 degrees. It was pretty disappointing (and chilly!). Still, we had a great time.

We got there right when the zoo opened, which meant a great on-street parking spot, and ample time to enjoy the free hour. We rode the carousel twice. Aside from the bored teenager texting in the background, this picture is significant because it's the first time Caleb has ridden an animal on the zoo carousel. Until now, he has always insisted on sitting on the bench, because moving up and down made him nervous. Not anymore!

Lily, however, is now our designated bench-rider. She was not interested in riding on an animal, and was still a bit skeptical in Daddy's lap on the bench.

Daisy was all smiles, though!

Between the cold weather and a head cold, Caleb's nose ran all morning. Poor kkid.

Isn't she cute?

After the carousel, on to the Children's Zoo! 
It is amazing to me how much being in kindergarten has changed Caleb. Before, he used to hold back and be cautious or hesitant at playgrounds, needing prompting to explore and play. No more. As soon as we entered the play area, he took off running! It's totally different than what I'm used to from him, but it's a good kind of different. I just need to get used to it.

I tried to get a picture of all three kids in the hippo's mouth at once, but it didn't work out.

This was Lily's first trip to the zoo as an active participant, not strapped to my back or buckled into a stroller the whole time. She loved it, shrieking with delight at each animal. (That's a bunny, in case you were wondering.)

She really liked the goat yard, too.

We all liked the goat yard. Also, please note Daisy's ensemble: turquoise fuzzy fleece leggings, striped long-sleeved shirt, striped muscle shirt, pink jacket, St. Patrick's Day beads. That girl.

This picture is the funniest thing ever. I was going through my photos tonight and Caleb wandered into the kitchen. He glanced at the computer monitor and immediately said, "Daisy has a goat face!"
Ha! Indeed she does! I hadn't even noticed!

Lily giggled and squealed with delight the whole time she rode on Chris' shoulders. It was so cute. 

Then we headed home, took long naps, Chris took Caleb to the driving range to try out some new golf clubs, we had pizza for dinner, and hot cocoa for dessert. I call that a good day!

Especially because I got to snuggle up to this guy and take a nap.


As I nursed Eli right before bedtime, I told Daisy to have Daddy take a picture of her in her outfit because it was so silly. When I uploaded my pictures tonight, I found this gem: 
Chris is so effortlessly good at photography! How did he get all three kids to cooperate? Also, Caleb and Daisy coordinated their outfits this morning. He actually loaned her the muscle shirt she's wearing, and he told me that his Spider Man muscle shirt was more like a vest. And Daisy is wearing Lily's socks.  And Caleb's socks don't match. And none of them are wearing shoes.
I love my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment