May 31

Even though we just got back in town last night, the kids and I had a morning playdate with Amber and her kids at a nearby conservation area. It was just what we needed!

After a short rain shower, we headed out on the paved hiking trails. I didn't bring my stroller because the hills are awful with strollers, but halfway through our hike I realized that I have always before hiked these trails with Chris, who carried Lily when things got rough. Today I didn't have that option, and Lily did a whole lot more walking than she was used to. Luckily, she was a champ.

We chose to hike the long loop, because at the very bottom there is a lovely creek. I forgot that Amber's children are practically feral more adventurous than mine, and was unprepared for the creek-wading that occurred. 

Daisy chose to plunge right into the creek, still wearing her shoes. That's a fair representation of her personality.

Both kids with shoes off. Lily stayed on the trail with me. Where are Amber's children? Far, far ahead. They are conditioned to barefoot outdoor play, and didn't mind the rocky creek bed on bare feet at all. My children are much less hardy, and they slowly picked their way across the creek. Still, my kids had so much fun.

I love this.

This woman. Amber and I have been friends for 20 years now, and I am still regularly amazed by her. I am also still frequently shocked that she chooses to be my friend. She's pretty fabulous.

Exhibit A: 
While she was juggling her baby and a water bottle, she snapped this picture of Eli wrapped on my back. It's beautiful, isn't it? (Also, the wrap he's in is beautiful - it was a traveling wrap that Amber let me use for our hike.)

So, what was Lily doing while Caleb and Daisy minced their way through a creek and Eli was wrapped in a gorgeous piece of fabric? 

Exploring. I love this girl.

And then the kids captured a giant frog. The end.

1 comment: