June 19

I totally failed to plan anything special for Father's Day for Chris. 
No gifts.
No cards.
No special meals.
I dropped the ball.
I didn't even let him sleep in; I ended up staying up past 1:00 this morning editing pictures, and forgot to get up with Eli so he didn't have to.

But I did remember that Daisy made him a card that looked like a necktie at preschool, so we got that out and gave it to him. And that reminded Caleb of a card he saw at Target, and I helped Caleb make one of his own for Chris. (The card is shaped like a tie and says, "For Father's Day, I got you a TIE." On the inside it says, "Fighter" with a picture of a TIE fighter from Star Wars. It was awesome.) And then Lily wanted to make Daddy a tie, so he helped her cut one out. Then she demanded that he draw a house on it, which he did. Then we taped it to his shirt, and Lily was as pleased as can be.

Doesn't he look nice in his tie?

Caleb realized how awesome Daddy's tie was, and decided he wanted to match. 

I mean, really. Are they cute, or what?

And then I was sitting at my computer editing photos, when I heard giggling. I am now trained to grab my camera whenever I suspect mischief is afoot, and my instinct was correct.

Chris was doing push-ups with his daughters on his back, and Eli was watching and giggling, toy truck in hand.

The moment Chris collapsed on the ground to rest, Eli "drove" that truck over to Daddy and put it in Chris' mouth. These people are too funny!

We also managed to throw together a last-minute family get-together at the neighborhood pool. Jenny and Ryan had to work, but Chris' parents, my parents, and Emily and her crew were all able to come. It was a perfect evening!

Eli found this inflatable duck and was in heaven.

Max is an awesome swimmer! He handled the deep end with ease, and was so confident going off the diving board that Caleb was even inspired to give it his first try in several years.

Jace tried the diving board, too, but it took him several attempts before he had the courage to actually jump. And that's Billy, waiting for him in the water.

Caleb's second dive!
I would like to take this moment to take credit for Caleb's first dive. I could see him watching Max jump, so I asked him if he wanted to go off the diving board with me. I fully expected him to say no, so I was shocked when he actually agreed! Caleb went first, and I followed him. I was so proud! Later, he told me, "You know, Mommy, MOST moms don't go off the diving board!" I think he was a bit impressed by me, too.

Chris and his dad. I'm kicking myself now for not getting a picture of Chris and Dan with all of the kids, and one of Chris and Dan and Caleb, who are all firstborn males. Next time.

Emily was kind enough to relieve me of all of my parental responsibilities and handle Eli in the water. It was such a nice break for me, and Eli loved her for it!

Oh my goodness. Isn't Jace hilarious?

Billy and his boys. I should have taken this picture before they swam, because they kind of look like castaways, or the Swiss Family Robinson.

My favorite part of the evening was watching all of the family splash and play in the water. Here, Dad was showing Jace how he could squirt water with his hands. You can see Emily and Eli, and Daisy in the background. If you squint, you can see Chris' head by the deep end ropes, Caleb on the diving board, and even Max's little head behind the chairs and the life guard stand. 

Daisy was so proud as she showed us her kickboarding skills!

This morning, I realized that I didn't have any recent pictures of me with my dad. Tonight, I thankfully remembered to rectify that. 
I love this picture of Emily and me with Dad! It's too bad Jenny wasn't there to be in the picture, too.

And then Lily saw that Emily and I were taking a picture with Grandpa, and she had to be in it, too. 
Isn't she the cutest thing ever? She loves her Grandpa.

The day wasn't complete until I got a picture of Chris with all four of his kiddos, though. It was past bedtime and Daisy was being grouchy and uncooperative, but I made the picture happen, anyway. 
Happy Father's Day to my fabulous husband.  When I married him almost 14 years ago, I knew he would one day be a great Daddy. Still, I am continually surprised by just how good he really is. I am a better mom because of him, and our kiddos are blessed to have him as their father. 

Happy Father's Day, Chris!

No comments:

Post a Comment