June 6

Today was a big day on two fronts. First, it was day one of Caleb and Daisy's first VBS experience, ever. When we arrived at the church, Caleb was so nervous that he didn't want to get out of the van. He got over it, though, and soon was really excited. I failed to plan what I would do with the other two, though, so we ended up going to Target and then visiting a park with a splash pad.

It was HOT out, and the kids were thrilled!

Surprised by the water!

 I love this!

We returned to pick the big kids up, and Caleb was practically vibrating with excitement. They chatted happily the whole way home about Jesus and the Bible stories they learned, and my heart was full.

The other exciting event today was the fact that one week into Caleb's swim team career, he had his very first swim meet. Luckily, it was a home meet, and even luckier, Grandpa came to watch!
Caleb swam two events: the 25 free style, and a 100 meter relay. There was a lot of waiting.

Luckily, I bought bubbles this morning at Target! 
(We were out because I had a momentary fit of insanity a few weeks ago after Lily dumped the GIANT REFILL BOTTLE OF THE GOOD BUBBLES. Dumped the whole thing. I screamed and shouted that I was never buying bubbles again, EVER. But then I realized that summer without bubbles is awful, so I bought $20 worth of bubbles today. Lily has already dumped three bottles, despite the fact that I purchased special spill-proof bottles for her and the fact that I try to keep the bottles out of her reach. What can I say? The girl has a gift for spilling bubbles.)

Almost his turn to swim!
(I didn't manage to buy him the team suit. I need to do that. For now, Star Wars will have to suffice.)

Closer!

Even closer!

Chatting up his lane timer.

Getting ready to dive in!

25 free! Go, Caleb, Go! 
(Gotta work on his rotary breathing!)

Finished!
(Last in his heat. But still. Finished!)

And then the 100 relay. 
Go, Caleb!

Finished! His team ended up taking 2nd place in this event.

Oh, my. That is one happy, proud boy.

And we were so proud of him, too!

High fiving Grandpa.

Though Caleb was done for the night, there were still a lot more events to go. Dad explained to us that it's poor form to leave because we're done, so we stuck around and ate dinner. Eventually, I took the little ones home for bed and Chris and Caleb stayed to support the team.

All in all, a very good first swim meet!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Caleb and Daisy are looking like really big kids now :)
    How cool all they learned at VBS!!

    ReplyDelete