June 27

I was busy all weekend - had 3 photo sessions scheduled, and had to cancel 1 due to thunderstorms. Boo. But that meant I didn't really pick up my camera until today. We had swim practice this morning, and then we did pretty much  nothing when we got home. Eli and I folded laundry together while the big kids played in the basement, and he was really clingy and lovey. He kept saying, "Mama!" and I'd reply "Eli!" and then he made a random noise. It took me a while, but I finally realized that it's how he says his name! Of course I took a video, and of course you want to watch it so you can see how my sweet boy says "Eli".
We kept playing and folding, and I noticed that in addition to the clinginess, Eli seemed fussier than normal. It was only 11:00, but I pulled him into my bed so he could have some milk and snuggles.

Ten minutes later, he looked like this:
Oops. 
He napped like that for an hour, and then was totally not ready for his regular nap time.

I put all of the other kids down for naps, though, because today was a swim meet day. Eventually Eli went down for another nap, but I had to wake the younger three kids to leave for the meet. It started earlier than normal because today was team picture day.

While we waited for the team picture to be taken, our job was to stay out of the way. 
Lily wanted so badly to hold Eli in her lap. Poor girl doesn't realize that he weighs just a few pounds less than her!

Then I did what every photographer hates: I stood behind the hired photographer and snapped pictures with my own camera. I know it's tacky and inappropriate to do that, but whatever. 
Team picture! You can see Caleb in the bottom row, on the left side of the picture. Just a few minutes before, he actually fell into the water. It was pretty funny! Then his sweet friend sitting next to him helped him fix his hair.

After team pictures, it was time for the kickboard race! This picture fairly sums up how Daisy was feeling about her first race.

The girl with her is her friend Emma, who is a swim team member who has helped with kickboard practice. Emma has been Daisy's partner almost every practice, and these girls love each other! I'm pretty certain that if Daisy had any other partner, she would not have done her race today. She was pretty nervous!

Off she goes!

As soon as Daisy got in the water, her nerves vanished. She grinned like this the whole length of the pool.

Emma asked for a high five, and Daisy gave her a high foot. That's my girl.

Then the meet began, and soon it was Caleb's turn. 
Waiting in the bullpen for his first of five events. Doesn't he look cool?

Even better, Caleb got to hang out with Grandpa! It was our family's turn to volunteer at the meet, and Dad graciously agreed to fill our job in the bullpen so we could focus on chasing after our little ruffians. Also, he kind of likes swim meets. The kids were so excited to see him! Caleb looks pained in this picture, but I think it's just the swim cap smooshing his face. Also, that's a mosquito bite on his collar bone, not a hickey.

And he's off!

Go, Caleb!

Daisy greeted Caleb at the finish line with a big hug.

After two of Caleb's races, it was time for me to take the little ones home. We arrived home to find that the UPS man had delivered a fancy new lens for me, so of course I had to try it out. Obviously lighting conditions aren't the best, but it still has me excited to play! Also, I can't wait to save up enough money to upgrade my camera, too!

Hi, Eli!

Then Eli put stuffed birds in my new leather lens  case.

Chris got home later, and was curious to check out the pricey new lens. 
This was his test shot. An accurate representation, I'd say!

No comments:

Post a Comment