June 13

We had another busy day, and I think we are all ready for a day of rest. This morning, my mom came over early to watch the two little ones while Chris and I took Caleb and Daisy to a memorial service for our beloved BG (bonus Grandma). Nancy was married to Chris' Grandad for 16 years before he died of cancer in 2012. Sadly, Nancy lost her own battle with cancer two weeks ago. She was such a loving and gracious woman, and Chris and I felt like it was important for Caleb and Daisy to come to her memorial service.

After the service, which was held at the Catholic Student Center of a local university, the kids and I explored the grounds while Chris visited with family. Caleb and Daisy had no idea what this hammock was at first, but they soon understood just how great it was.

After Chris was done visiting, we headed  home and gathered the two little ones up and went to Chris' Aunt Bebe's house for a luncheon in honor of Nancy. We had a lovely time talking to all of his cousins and aunts and uncles and remembering Nancy. Chris' Aunt Maggie took Eli from me almost as soon as we arrived, and between Maggie and her daughters, Eli made the rounds and charmed everyone he met. Even scowly, overwhelmed Lily made friends with some of Chris' cousins, and it all made my heart very happy.

When we got home, the kids went down for their naps and Chris went over to my mom's house to paint her guest bedroom for her. My Aunt Deb will be visiting next week, and poor Mom is scrambling to get everything ready for her. Chris is a master painter, so he was happy to help.

Meanwhile, Caleb helped me get caught up on my 30-Day Wrap Challenge.

Yep, it turns out that you can definitely wear a nearly-6-year-old. It is just a lot less comfortable than wearing a baby.
Here's Caleb rocking the Hip Cross Carry. Do you see how happy he is? He absolutely didn't want to get down, which would have been sweet if he eventually did get down. But he really wanted to stay up, so we tried out a second carry.

This is Caleb in Secure High Back Carry. 
He was so, so happy. I wore Caleb a lot in my first ring sling and Ergo, but he never got to be wrapped. I think he was tickled that he finally got a chance to ride around like he always sees the little ones do. It was very sweet and much more comfortable than a piggy back ride, but I definitely couldn't carry him around like that for extended periods of time.

After dinner, Chris suggested that the kids and I come over to Mom's house. Lily was so excited, and talked about "Mack" and Jace the whole way there. I quickly discovered that Caleb + Max = chaos, but it was still a lot of fun.

Jace, who is the exact same age as Lily, loved Eli. How sweet are they? Also sweet was watching Lily and Jace hug each other. Cousins are the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment