July 18

Lily turns two years old tomorrow, but various scheduling factors meant that we chose to celebrate her birthday this morning. My parents are out of town, though, and Billy and Jenny had to work, so we had a smaller celebration than normal. Still, though our group was small, it was merry!

We intended to let the kids run around and splash in our baby pool and sprinkler, but somehow we never managed to turn the water on. Instead, the kids ran around with their cousins and the grown ups watched and laughed. It was lovely.

We spotted a deer in the back yard, so all the kiddos ran out to see. Max told me later that "the deer looked right at Ca-wub and me!"

Then a monarch butterfly stopped by for a visit. I love our back yard.

Chris' sister, Grace, was in town from Texas, and it was her first chance to meet Eli. I really wanted some pictures of the two of them together, but Eli was ready for his nap and therefore not very cooperative. 
I tried mightily to get him to smile, though, and ended up with this photo: 
Look at that scowl! He is clearly annoyed with me. "Ma, will you please stop taking pictures and put me to bed?"
Or maybe, "Don't you dare take me away from my Auntie Grace!"

I did what the boy wanted and put him down for his nap, and came out to find everyone playing on the swing set. 
They were having so much fun!

Except for this one, that is. The birthday girl just stared at me. She didn't want me to push her, and I couldn't figure out what was going on until she shouted, "Muffer!" and grinned when Gayle came over to push her. She didn't want Mommy to push her, she wanted Grandmother to push her!

Soon it was present time. 
We gave Lily a bean bag chair, just like Caleb and Daisy's, but I was too lazy to wrap the big box. Instead, I asked Caleb and Daisy to decorate it with their markers. On the side above, you can see where Daisy wrote "Lily" in purple (the second L is covered by the ribbon).

Caleb decorated the other side with space ships for each member of the family. He informed me that Daddy's was the smallest, and it was lagging behind.

Lily didn't smile much, but she was quite engaged with the present-opening. I think she was a bit overwhelmed by being the center of everyone's attention.

A baby carrier!

Grace brought birthday gifts for Caleb, too, including a giant Star Wars Lego set. That boy was so, so, SO happy.

Soon it was time for cake. Our neighbor Mary just happened to bake a cake for us the other day, so I saved it for Lily's birthday. Keeping it simple here!

As Chris started to light the candles, Lily blew them out right away. But once he got them all lit, she was a bit intimidated.

Goodness, isn't she cute? She gave a tiny whisp of a blow, but it didn't work.

After several tries, Chris and Gayle stepped in to help her.

After cake, the big boys had fun playing the game where they take turns putting each other in a box.

Doesn't it look like fun!

Around noon, everyone except Grace left. We put the little ones down for a nap, and Grace and Chris took Caleb to a nearby waterpark for an adventure.

When Lily woke up from her nap, I noticed that she had been doing some exploring before she fell asleep. Her baby carrier was in bed with her, and she had taken a plush kitty purse (a gift from Grandmother, I think?) and tried to wear it like a back pack. The straps were much too short, though, and so it was stuck. Apparently she grew exhausted trying to get it off and fell asleep with it on her back. Poor girl.

After dinner, Lily tried on one of her gifts: butterfly/fair wings. Her shirt was dirty from dinner (and the leftover ice cream cake she had afterward), so she wore just the wings and a pair of jeggings.

If it weren't for the wheelbarrow and trash can in the background, this would be my favorite picture ever.

These wings are so super cool! Gayle was smart and bought two pairs, so that Daisy could have one, too. What a good grandmother!

Once Lily was in her jammies, I tried my best to get a good "last picture as a one-year-old" photo. Lily, however, had other plans.

They involved running up and down the sidewalk with her daddy.

I think it's quite fitting that Lily's jammie shirt says, "Dad's little sweetheart."
She is definitely Daddy's girl!

Happy early birthday, Lulu!

No comments:

Post a Comment