February 1

Happy February!

We were supposed to begin February with a "Snowpocalypse", but it seems to have not materialized. I would like to complain, but I'm withholding judgement until tomorrow morning. We got maybe 6" of snow today, and I'm still hopeful that we'll get another 6 tonight. Really, I just hope that Chris doesn't have to go to work tomorrow. We'll see.

Our snow day project was painting with pudding. I just added food coloring to little bowls of vanilla pudding, then gave Caleb dollops of each color and a silicone basting brush. He loved it!

The first thing Caleb did when I set him down to "paint" was scoop up a gob of pudding and eat it. At that moment, I knew I had made the right decision by giving him edible paint. I can't imagine if I had used real paint...

I was surprised/disappointed that he barely used his hands to paint at all. Perhaps he realized that the brush was a more effective means of getting the pudding in his mouth?

This was the face he made when I tried to take the "paint" away from him. (Please note that all of the neat piles of pudding colors are gone in this photo. He didn't just move the paint around - he put it all in his belly. I wonder if he will have colorful diapers tomorrow?)

The final messy product involved pudding on his face, in his hair, up his arms, and on his high chair tray. It was so much fun, though! 3 hours later, at dinner time, Caleb remembered his painting, but couldn't remember the word for it. He sat in his chair, pointing at the fridge, saying "Blue! Red!" Finally I figured out that he was talking about his paint. When I told him we couldn't paint because it was dinner time, he had an all-out tantrum. I suppose that's a mixed blessing: no one wants their child to have a tantrum, but it's nice to know he enjoyed it so much. Luckily, there's lots of pudding left. Maybe tomorrow?

An unrelated note: happy third trimester to me! It's hard to believe that in less than 3 months, NewBaby will be here. Chris and I were fretting last night about where Baby will sleep and how things will work, and I realized the other day that we'll also need to purchase a double jog stroller . (My research indicates this is the perfect stroller for us; unfortunately, I'm still not sure how we'll afford it. Maybe we could sell NewBaby to pay for it, but then we wouldn't need a double stroller...) I suppose now that we're in the double-digits of the countdown, we should start planning some of these things...

But instead of spending my time worrying about the logistics of NewBaby, I'm focusing on enjoying being pregnant (because the last 14 weeks have been really easy and pleasant), and praying for a healthy baby and a safe delivery. Everything else will work itself out, right?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on all counts. Eating paint is fun. That IS the perfect double jogger. And everything will work itself out. I'm glad you're feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative thing to do! You are such a great mom! And, FUN! Love the pics because they show just how confused he is at first and then you can see the wheels turning--wow this is FUN and she's lettlng me DO it!
    What's better than getting to make a mess and EAT it at the same time?
    I think youll be able to get the stroller--it will work out:)))

    ReplyDelete