September 7

What a day! This post is three days late in coming because today was such a day. You'll understand by the end of this post, I promise.

We chose to spend our Labor Day at the Japanese Festival at the Botanical Gardens. Luckily, my mom agreed to join us, and we had so much fun!

Daisy asked for braided pigtails this morning, and it was adorable.

We got to the Garden right around Eli's nap time. Luckily, he took a great back wrap nap.

Sleep, sweet baby! (My neckerchief is a cooling towel, to keep both of us comfortable. It was hot and sweaty out!)

Lily watched the drumming and dancing from her favorite perch. (Aren't her twin french braids cute, too?)

I love these two!

Caleb and Daisy were so excited to share one of their favorite places with one of their favorite people.

Feeding the fish!

Daisy chased her brother across the stepping stone path.

Then we explored a new-to-us part of the Garden: a hidden children's garden, complete with fairy houses, wire fairies, and a peacock fountain, perfect for splashing. Daisy wasted no time in getting completely soaked.

Make sure to get those feet wet!

Caleb did not want to get wet, but Lily was curious.

Look at how Lily is watching Daisy, trying to figure out how to do what she's doing. I love it!

Then on to the raccoons!

I'm pretty sure this fountain is Lily's favorite.

Hi, Caleb!
No, he still didn't get wet. He was that sweaty.

They love the raccoons!

Meanwhile, Eli and I enjoyed a snack in the shade.

He gnawed on a baby carrot as well as he could with no teeth.

Ha!

Then I decided to see what Eli thought about the fountains.

At first, he was very suspicious. The water was cool and the ground was rough.

In fact, he didn't like it at all!

But he gradually got used to it. Lily did her best to show him how much fun the water is.

Oh! Maybe this is fun!

And then we were done. We took our hot, sweaty selves home and we all had a nap.

Which was good, because around 4:30 my mom texted me: 
I think Billy and Emily are going to tie the knot today!

After a flurry of frantic texts and phone calls, Billy called around 5:00 and told me that they were getting ready to drive to a small, rural town about 45 minutes away to get married at his buddy's farm. We were welcome to come, too.

Well. I had just gotten dinner on the table, and there was no way our kids would handle that situation well. But there was no way I could miss such a happy day, and I have the best husband ever. So I changed my clothes, grabbed Eli, and hopped in my van. My dad, who was just getting off work, stopped at our house and rode with me.

It was rushed, it was spontaneous, and it was small, but it was lovely. 
Emily allowed me to take pictures, and I had so much fun photographing these two on their special day!




(Eli was a very good sport about the whole thing. Except for the part where he cried for the whole drive there. But he survived.)

"You may kiss your bride!"

Congratulations to the happy family! I love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, cool! How wonderful!! Looks really pretty there too. Yay:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! What a fun & crazy day - great pics!!

    ReplyDelete