September 2

This morning was Caleb's first late-start day of the school year. They occur the first Wednesday of the month, and last year we tried to do something special each late start day.

This year, ain't nobody got time for that. I made some breakfast cookies, and after I popped them in the oven, I walked into the living room to see this:
Yes, Daisy is picking her nose. But I didn't notice that at the time; in the moment, I noticed that Caleb was reading - actually reading - a Berenstain Bears book to his sisters. The girls were totally engrossed, and I was so happy and proud.

While the kids ate breakfast cookies, Eli experienced his first breakfast food:
Egg yolk.
It was a huge mess, and he loved it.

After Caleb got on the bus, antics ensued. 
Lily was playing peek-a-boo with the nearby curtain, and it was hilarious. The pictures, however, are equally funny and terrifying.

Boo!
(Don't worry, Mom. Eli was only there for the photo opp. I don't *actually* let him sit unattended on a rocking chair with his sisters.)

"Ma! Get me away from these crazies!"

Jill requested a picture of the living room after all of my furniture-moving the other day. Here you go, Jill: 
Yes, it's messy.
We still need to purchase and install a TV mount above the fireplace. We need to find a legit piece of furniture for the alcove beside the fireplace. We need to have some can lights installed to compensate for the one dim overhead light. We need to hang pictures on the wall, and long-term we could use a new couch and some armchairs. Or a sectional.
But for now, it works just fine.

Eli loves to sit and look out the window.

Hi, Eli!

Then Daisy found an old baby bottle in the pantry, and decided she wanted to feed Eli a bottle. 
He's really much too big now to be fed this way, but Daisy was determined. 
It didn't work, but she sure tried to force it to work.
The girl needs to hone her gentleness just a bit. But her big heart is bursting with love, so at least there's that.

Later, Eli and I took some selfies in his room. 

Cute, right?

And then he started eating my face. 




7 months is such a fun age!

Even more fun than 7 months is two years old. While I was making dinner, Lily spilled something on her shirt and it had to be removed. I went back to work, and turned around to see Lily half-wrapped in my ring sling. She was tangled up in it, so I gave her a little help. When she was happy, she wandered off again, and came back a moment later with her baby in the much-too-big ring sling. 
She was holding the baby to her breast and saying, "Shhh-shhh-SHHH!" and she was so, so proud of herself. 
Seriously. Doesn't this melt your heart?

I promise: she may see me wearing Eli and nursing Eli, but I never walk around the house topless.

Meanwhile, Eli was totally confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment