December 22

Since today was the last Sunday before Christmas, the kids dressed up in their Christmas best for church. They looked so cute that - even though we were running late and rushing out the door - I stopped to take a picture. I was about to pose them someplace with terrible lighting, but they put themselves on the fireplace. The result? Magic.

When they cooperate, they are such lovely children. Daisy even willingly wore a bow in her hair!

But I think this pout is almost as sweet as her smile. One of the things I love about Daisy right now is how snuggle-able she is. She's so lightweight that you can scoop her up and squeeze her tightly with so little effort.

And then Chris walked in on our photo shoot, carrying Miss Lily. 
My stupid Christmas cards aren't in the mail yet (they're taking forever to be printed!), but this would have been a perfect picture for them. I didn't even have to photoshop it! Sadly, it's too late.

We went to church and the kids celebrated Jesus' birthday while Chris and I rocked babies in the nursery. After church, my mom stopped by to say hello. She needed a picture of Chris and me together, but I realized that of all the pictures we have, there are very few of just Chris and me. So we stepped out on the deck to take one. 
Today is my older sister's 34th birthday, and that caused Chris to realize that we are nearing our mid-30s. Not old, but not spring chickens anymore. In a week, Chris and I will celebrate 14 years of together-ness; we began dating (at age 18!) at the very end of 1999. Looking at this picture, I can definitely agree that we're not as young as we used to be, but we're just as happy!

Mom brought with her some empty wrapping paper tubes for the kids to use as light sabers and swords and vacuum hoses and whatever else they dreamed up. When we came back inside from taking the photo above, we found them doing this: 
Daisy declared, "I'm dying!" and we realized that they were pretending that she was Jesus on the cross, and Caleb was helping to hold the cross up. I'm not sure if that is delightful or sacrilegious... I suppose I'm pleased that, even in their play, they were thinking of Christ and his sacrifice... but still. It's a little bit creepy. Clever, but creepy.

After long naps, we met up with my family at a Mexican restaurant to celebrate Emily's birthday. 

She looks pretty good for 34!
(Gosh! We're so old!)

Chris handled Lily duty so that I could enjoy my margarita and Mexican food in peace. Isn't she darling? We debated if she was big enough for a high chair, but ended up firmly on the side of no. Maybe in a month or so, but  not yet.

Then, to my parents' house for some birthday cake and presents. 
Billy handled the lighting of the cake; apparently both my mom and Emily are afraid of fire. Who knew?

Max helped blow out the candles,

and Daisy made sure Emily never got lonely by repeatedly bringing this bear to her. Eventually, Emily just kept the thing tucked under her arm!

A sweet birthday kiss for Mimi (and my reflection in the background!)

Sadly, poor Jace was feeling really sick. As we celebrated, his temperature rose and rose. Poor baby. Luckily, Grandma was there to offer some snuggles.

Isn't this the truth about motherhood?
It's beautiful and exhausting and heartbreaking and fulfilling and never stops, even on your birthday.
Happy birthday, Mimi!

No comments:

Post a Comment