April 30

Shew! I feel like I ran a marathon today! Today was the first day that I could honestly say my broken leg didn't hurt all that much. Usually I feel a distinct pain right where the break is, but today I barely felt it. Instead, the muscles in my legs ache and I have some really intense lower back pain. It's like my whole body had adjusted to compensate for the broken bone, and now that the bone pain is less, the rest of my body feels free to complain! I also did way too much today, so I am literally hobbling like a poorly trained marathoner crossing the finish line.

It was so lovely out this morning that I tried to spend some time outside with Lily and Eli while Daisy was at preschool. First, I wrapped Eli on me and dug up dandelions while Lily played around me. (Don't worry, mom; I only did what I could do while sitting on my bottom.) Eventually Eli got tired of that, so we moved to the porch. I pulled out his play gym to see if maybe he would bat at toys (a three-month developmental milestone). He didn't, but he was still pretty happy.

Someone else thought the play gym was pretty fun, too.

There! I finally caught a full-on baby smile! 

This kid is seriously handsome, if I do say so myself.

Eventually Lily grew tired of trying to use Eli's toys, and she began trying to use my toys. First, my phone: 
She is so funny - she tries to take a selfie, but holds the phone smashed to her face, saying "Cheeeeeeee" the whole time. (Also, I'm pretty sure she has the most gorgeous eyes of any child ever. But I may be a bit biased.)

"Cheeeeeeeee!"

"CHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Isn't her outfit fantastic, too? While I was getting the bigger kids ready for school and preschool, Lily found the white shirt (a 3T, so a little small on Daisy and a little big on Lily) and somehow managed to put it on properly, even though it was on top of her pajama shirt. When it was time for me to get Lily dressed for the day, I couldn't bring myself to make her take the shirt off when she had worked so hard to get it on. So I pulled out some red pants and called it an outfit.

Except that Lily wanted none of it. She screamed, "No-eee! No-eee! Dessh!"
The girl wanted to wear a dress. So I found one that kind of went with the white shirt and red pants, and Lily was very happy with that outfit. She was especially pleased to wear this dress, because she had never worn it before.

After the cell phone, Lily got out her bike. I let her ride for a while, but then I forgot that she's not even two and doesn't follow directions for anything. She rode that bike almost down to the corner and wouldn't ride it back. I had to hobble down to where she was, scoop her up with one arm and pick the bike up with another, and hobble back to the house. Twice. After the second time, I put the bike away.

Then the same thing happened with a big ball. After I had to chase it down, I decided we were done with toys that moved. Luckily, Lily found a net.

What is it with kids and nets? It seems universal that every child that has ever encountered this net immediately puts the net on his or her head and feels quite pleased about the whole thing.


There - you can see most of Lily's funny outfit.

Eventually we went inside, Daisy came home, and the kids all napped. I foolishly didn't rest; I spent nap time prepping dinner and baking the cake for Daisy's birthday celebration tomorrow night. Her birthday isn't until Monday, but Friday night worked best for all of the family to come over for cake. Daisy requested lemon cake, so I doctored up a gluten-free cake mix. She will probably hate it (girl has never had a lemon cake before) but I bet it will be delicious.

And I just found this picture from yesterday:
Daisy had filled the other side of that notebook with letters and scribbles, and proudly held it up to me and read, "On my birf-day when I am four, I am going to the bowling alley with my Daddy."
Funny girl. She is so excited about her birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment