April 25

Though it was Saturday today, it didn't really feel like a Saturday.

Chris and Caleb got up early and headed to Caleb's school, where they participated in a one-mile Fun Run. The little ones and I totally would have gone and cheered, if not for my lame-o leg. But Chris texted me this picture, so it was just like I was there. Right?
Do you see how excited he is? They staggered the kids by grade, so he is lined up with other kindergartners. He was so happy at the beginning of the race, but Caleb came home devastated that he didn't win it. I tried to talk to him about racing against himself and trying to beat his time, but it didn't take away the sting. Still, we wrote the date and his time (11:15) on the back of his race number, and we decided that we'd find a way to keep track of his time so that he can see how he improves as he gets older.

Then Chris informed me that, as far as he knows, Caleb was the first kindergartner to cross the finish line. So, he won his age group? Still, we need to work on helping Caleb to try his hardest at everything and be proud of his effort, even if it's not the best. This is just incentive to work harder, not reason to be discouraged!

The boys were home by 8:30, and then Chris took all three big kids grocery shopping. What a brave man! He did a great job, too. Meanwhile, I sat in bed with a snoozing Eli on my chest. Maybe I should break my leg more often! 

After the groceries were put away, Chris headed off to work. On a Saturday. I know. It's unheard of for a banker, but some things are changing at Chris' bank and he needed to be there today to help with the switchover. 

While he was gone, we all napped. (Or not. But Lily and Eli napped, and the big two stayed in their bedrooms and mostly left Mommy alone, so I call that a win.) Then my friend Mary brought dinner over: sausage and ribs that her husband had smoked this morning. Yum. Really, this broken-leg thing has its perks. (I'm totally kidding. Having friends bring dinner is great and all, but this is the pits. I'm bored with my broken leg and ready to move on. I'm starting a protocol of bone broth, fermented cod liver oil, raw milk, and multivitamin/minerals, and I've ordered an herbal supplement and an essential oil that are supposed to help with bone growth. Let's hope my nutritional efforts compensate for my inability to take it as easy as I should.)

Eli joined us at the table for dinner. At one point he fell asleep, at another point he spit up all over himself, and at a third point, he gave me the sweetest grin ever. 
Seriously, baby smiles are so hard to capture! He smiles, I pop the camera up, and by the time the shutter clicks, the smile has faded. Still, he's pretty handsome.

Look at those jowls. I weighed him on our bathroom scale today, which is highly inaccurate (I hope, for my own sake at least!!), and he was 10 and a half pounds. That seems about right, though. It's hard to believe he'll be three months old this week!

Oh, and here's a panned-out shot so you can see what poor Eli has to endure constantly. Lily loves him so much that she is always touching him, kissing him, squeezing him, shrieking at him, rightinhisface... That girl loves him fiercely!

1 comment: