May 30

Poor Lily isn't feeling well. She started crying right about the time I got home from Book Club last night (how did she know?) and I held her from 11:30 until nearly 2 am. Then Chris went into her, and held her until he had to get up for work at 5:30. Thankfully, when he got up and put her in her crib, she slept for three more hours on her own. I must admit: buying a recliner for the baby's room was one of our better choices.

Lily woke up just in time for us to join Jen and Caleb, Hannah, and Andrew at the pool. The kids had so much fun, and I was delighted to see how much progress Caleb has made in his swimming skills. He is nearly an independent swimmer now, and confident enough to go underwater and jump, splash, and float. I was so proud of him!

We came home for lunch and naps, and sweet Lily settled in for a nearly four-hour nap. Even Caleb and Daisy napped! While they slept, a storm rolled in. Gradually, each child woke, and we all ended up on the front porch, playing and listening to the rain.
Caleb and Daisy played with Legos, and Lily ate chalk.

I confess: I hate Legos. With a passion. I love the abstract idea of Legos. They're so creative and open-ended and educational! But the reality? Nope. They are messy. They are everywhere. Even when you think you have them all put away, there's always one more. They are colorful and begging to be popped into little mouths. Pieces always break off finished projects, and then Caleb expects me to fix it. And of course, they are horrible on bare feet. I want to throw them all away. I firmly believe that Legos have no place in a home with small children.

Apparently, though, I'm the only one who feels that way. Everyone else in my family loves them.

Exhibit A: Caleb playing nicely with his Legos. 
Can you see the look on Lily's face? She's clearly intrigued. "Oooohhh! What is that?"

"Yoink!"
Caleb, absorbed in his play, almost doesn't notice. Almost.

"HEY! Give that back!"

Caleb wins.

Lily is nonplussed. She goes back to plotting her Lego acquisition.
(And look! Just above her knee! A lone, yellow Lego. THEY. ARE. EVERYWHERE!)

Daisy distracted her sister with some love (and with her peanut butter/cracker sandwich).

These girls.

Lily's wonky face, Daisy's crazy hair... They are a great duo!

Love them.

And Caleb loves his Legos.

Meanwhile, Lily was still plotting.

1 comment:

  1. AAAHH, too much cuteness for one family!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete