May 10

We started our Mother's Day celebration a bit early with a trip to the Botanical Gardens this morning. As soon as the kids woke up, we loaded into the car and met my mom at a pancake place near the garden. The best part? Not only was the food delicious, but they also offered gluten-free pancakes! When I told Daisy, she gasped, "Oh! They (the restaurant) knew I couldn't have wheat!" What a sweet girl.

Here we are outside the restaurant. It was a beautiful day for pancakes and flowers!

My dad happened to be working today, so Lily got a chance to sit on the golf cart. Don't worry he didn't drive with her there!

Look at those lovebirds. How do I know it's love? She saved half of her breakfast for him.

We stopped at a cake, but pictures didn't go so well.
Yep. That's the best I got.
Daisy was taking a bite out of the cake.
Lily was looking at Chris, who was spotting her while hiding behind the cake.
Caleb refused to be photographed.

We may have to try that one again.

I tried wearing Lily in the wrap, but I didn't wrap her well and she didn't last long. Oh, well.

Grandma with two of her cuties.

I wish my sisters had been with us, but Emily had to work and Jenny barely functions before noon.

As mom and I strolled through the irises, we  remembered almost exactly four years ago, when we celebrated Mother's Day at the Botanical Garden. Mom's knees were so bad that I pushed her through the garden in a wheelchair, with ten-month-old Caleb on her lap. What a blessing her knee replacement surgery has been! I thank God for healing, and for all that she is able to do now that she couldn't do then.

My kiddos are especially thankful for all that Grandma can do!

Caleb and I stopped next to a creek in the English Woodland Garden for a quick picture. He refused to smile at the camera, but he was willing to look at me and smile!
(Do you see the lipstick-kiss Grandma left on his jaw? I thought it was a big scrape at first!)
 I love, love, love this picture. 
Also, I'm pretty sure he chose to wear the Super Grover shirt because he thought I'd like it.

Next stop: the newly-renovated Japanese Garden. Daisy was desperate to feed the koi. 
Lily was fascinated. I don't blame her; koi fish are so strage!

I love Lily's little legs dangling over the railing, and Caleb and Daisy reaching out to feed the fish.

Of course Grandma got them a second round of fish food!

Lily's shirt matched the peonies, and Chris's shirt matched her!

After strolling the perimeter of the garden, we ended up at the Children's Garden. Mom and I rested in the shade while I fed Lily, and Chris romped and played with the big kids. Finally, it was time to head home. It was much later than I intended, and I hadn't brought any snacks or lunch. Luckily, there were leftovers from breakfast!

About halfway through the trip home, it grew suspiciously quiet. When we pulled into the garage, my suspicions were confirmed: 
All three children were sound asleep. Love it!

After everyone woke up from naps (or not-naps; Daisy may have read books instead of napping in her bed), the girls went grocery shopping with me. Since Caleb chose to stay home, Lily got to ride in the rocketship cart at Dierbergs for the first time.
It took her a while, but once she figured out the steering wheel, she was so proud of herself!

No comments:

Post a Comment