May 23

Flooring! Flooring! Flooring!

Our neighbor Terry came over at 8 this morning, and he and Chris began the process of installing our new wood floors. They are beautiful. Because we wanted to match the original wood floors in the rest of the house, we ended up buying narrow solid wood strips that require a nail-down installation. Translation: it took a lot longer to install this floor than it would other types of flooring. We had hoped to finish today, but after nearly 12 hours of work, Chris and Terry finished the dining room, which is half of the project. Perhaps they'll finish the hallway tomorrow?

My job for the day was to keep the children entertained and out of the way, and I think I did a fabulous job. Caleb and Daisy had gymnastics at the big gym this morning, and they had so much fun! Lily loved watching her brother and sister through the big windows. 

She stood like this for at least twenty minutes!

Caleb and Daisy's turn to jump down the trampoline into the foam pit. Do you love Daisy's leotard? Don't worry. There are a gajillion more pictures of her in it.

It's one of my mom's thrift store finds, featuring sparkly velour with a sheer skirt. Daisy wore it all day long, and pretended she was Queen Elsa from Frozen.

This girl is getting a cold, and must be growing because she has been so hungry the past few days!

While I kept the kids busy, Terry and Chris worked and worked and worked. (Sorry for the crummy cell phone picture. I'll never understand how so many people take such good iPhone photos, because mine rarely turn out well.

By dinnertime, this was their progress:

Terry put a mitered frame of wood around where our fireplace hearth will be, and was astonished to find that the hearth we had laid out a few days before happened to fit the width of the wood planks perfectly.
See? No extra cutting necessary. He says that has never happened to him before! I like to think that God was smiling down on us.

The boys kept working after dinner, and I kept the kids occupied. 
Goodness. Isn't she precious?

And how about this boy? He wore this getup (he is pretending to be Prince Hans of the Southern Isles) to the hardware store the other day, and out for a special treat tonight. I love it.

Daisy picked handfuls of clover and insisted that I make her more jewelry.

And Lily just watched from the porch, sitting on her wrap/blanket. She was feeling needy when I needed to make dinner, so I got out a wrap and asked her if she wanted to go up. I am not even kidding when I say that the girl's face lit up and she began smiling and kicking her legs. It's so gratifying to know that Lily loves being worn on my back just as much as I love wearing her!

Hopefully tomorrow will bring a post with pictures of my long hallway, finally covered in hardwood instead of that wretched linoleum! In the meantime, here's a video of what Caleb and Daisy did when we let them go into the dining room for the first time:
(For some reason, Blogger won't let me just post the video here. But it's short, and you get the idea pretty quickly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment