October 15

Today Caleb found a bug on the patio.
Now, I am all for Caleb communing with nature. I love the idea of him playing with bugs, despite the fact that it grosses me out. In fact, I helped him notice the bug.

But after Caleb poked the bug for the first time and it didn't do much, I became suspicious. I moved in for closer inspection.
Closer inspection revealed that this was a handicapped bug. It was missing the majority of its legs on the right side.

Then I felt bad. Clearly, this bug would not survive. Was it really fair for its last moments to be at the merciless  hands of a tiny tyrant? I didn't think so.

So I told Caleb he couldn't play with the bug.

He didn't like that idea.

He really didn't like that idea.

So I had to move the bug away. It was a difficult task, considering bugs gross me out. The poor bug didn't have the wherewithal to walk onto the leaf I offered it, so I had to find a sandbox shovel and a spade to scoop up the bug and throw it into the grass that probably became its last resting place.

Then Caleb found a little spider, and promptly maimed it. I had to squish it to put it out of its misery. I think that at some point I should stop anthropomorphizing these bugs. It may make Caleb's boyhood years much less emotionally traumatic for me.

2 comments:

  1. aahahahah this is too funny! i love your vocabulary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing REALLY loud!!!!! Mom:)

    ReplyDelete