February 24

I had big plans for my birthday. Chris was taking the day off work, we were going to all go out to breakfast, then a trip to the Botanical Garden, then lunch somewhere, then maybe a nap or a child-free outing, then dinner out somewhere...

And then Chris and I were awakened at 5:00 this morning by Daisy vomiting on our bedroom floor. 
Yuck.

That husband of mine is a good man, though, and he made sure that I didn't clean up any vomit on my birthday. He got up and took care of Daisy and let me sleep in. Around 9:00, he woke me up with this:
Coffee (with frothed milk!) in my favorite mug and a waffle from a nearby French bakery. Can you spot the waffle under all of the powdered sugar, whipped cream, strawberries, bananas, blueberries, and pecans? Yum.

Of course, as soon as the kids knew I was awake, I had visitors. This has quickly become our new norm: Chris leaves for work at 7:00 am while I'm still in bed. Around 7:30, Eli comes in and climbs the foot rail of my bed like a ladder, then demands, "In you covers! Haf' milkies in you covers!"
I lift the covers, he snuggles in, and I nurse him and doze a bit more.

This morning was a bit different, what with the breakfast in bed and all. (Note to self: teach children to bring me breakfast in bed.)

I ended up sharing a good bit of my waffle with the children, and then Eli and I got our snuggles. 



Later in the day, Lily and I took a trip to Target and I picked up some lunch for myself on the way home. 

I got home to find Chris and Daisy trying to make me cupcakes that I didn't want (my stomach felt yucky from fighting off the bug), and Chris and I got into an argument about making icing. 

After the little ones were down for naps, a delivery man brought this to my door: 
An Edible Arrangement from Chris' sister Grace and her husband. What a bright spot in an otherwise dreary day!

Shortly after, Chris threw up.

Dinner was a bust because everyone was sick. I stopped by a nearby Italian restaurant and got myself some lasagna to go. There were presents; some were purchased, but most were random treasures scavenged from around the house and wrapped up as gifts. Caleb was responsible for all of those gifts, and he was proud of his handiwork. Here is one:
I can't remember his exact description of it, but I think it was a sculpture. All I know is that it was created from some of his dearest treasures. Sweet boy.

After that, there were cupcakes that the kids ate eagerly. 
Then Eli puked his all over the kitchen floor.

I drank another glass of wine and called it a day. Definitely not my favorite birthday ever. Happy 36th birthday to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment