February 11

I got to spend all morning in a classroom with a great group of high schoolers for the ACT test, and I came home in time to gobble up some leftover chinese food and put Eli down for a late nap. 

The kids regaled me with tales about what they did all morning; apparently Chris (who is a phenomenal dad) took them all on an adventure to find birthday gifts for me. They stopped at a bakery for treats, met a dog named Stella Luna who really liked Eli, and, according to Eli, bought me a "Superhero cape" for my birthday.

Lily informed me that my birthday gifts are  hidden in the basement, but she is not going to tell me what they are. These kids are so much fun, and I'm so proud of Chris for taking them out places by himself when it's easier to stay home and do nothing.

I'm also proud of him for planning ahead for my birthday, which is still nearly two weeks away.

After I got Eli down, I  needed to go scout some spots for a last-minute photo session this afternoon. My client informed me at 10:30 last night that she was hoping for a "wintry look", which is not something clients usually ask for. Caleb and Daisy accompanied me to one of my favorite locations, where we explored some off-the-beaten-path options.

Luckily, I brought my camera.
They both wore their rain boots, even though they knew we would be hiking and exploring. And yes, it really was warm enough for shorts and a t-shirt.

I have no idea why the skin around his mouth was yellowish/orange. I'm going to blame that on Daddy being in charge all morning.

But still, isn't he sweet? I feel like I don't take as many pictures of Caleb lately as I do the other kids, so it was nice to have an adventure with just my big two.

Daisy found a picnic table and a rock. 
And a stick.
She was happy.

The kids found a giant hill and wanted so badly to roll down it, but decided to come back in the summer when the grass will be lush and green and soft, instead of now when it's scratchy and brittle and barren.
They're smart like that.

Aren't they funny?

This girl cracks me up. I love when her spunk and sass comes through the camera.

Also, her outfit is pretty hilarious and perfectly her.

Caleb was very interested in this barn and the shingles that covered its sides.

Exploring.

Is he handsome, or what?

This was our special secret path.

Back in the woods! These two really are best friends, and it makes me so happy.

Daisy is really learning how to pose for the camera.

Of course, when Caleb saw how Daisy posed and heard me praising her for it, he had to prove that he could do the same thing. 
Funny bear.
Of course, we had to take a selfie before we left. I brought the kids home, took a rest, and then headed out for a really great photo session. Definitely a great day!

1 comment: