May 8

On Sunday, a friend kindly offered us some flowers to plant at our house. She had overbought, and had extra plants. I gratefully accepted, not really thinking about the fact that the physical act of planting said flowers might be more than my poor broken leg could handle. 

Chris' mom noticed the flowers when she picked Daisy up for preschool on Tuesday.
She noticed them again - much droopier this time - when she came on Thursday.
When she returned Thursday afternoon, she offered to come over the next day to plant them for me. Of course I tried to say no, but then I realized that I really did need her help. My leg is feeling better each day, but squatting and crouching are still quite painful for me. So I accepted her sweet offer, and this morning Gayle came over with all of her planting tools, and got to work.

At first, I tried letting Eli lounge on a blanket while Gayle worked, but the overcast sky was too bright for his little eyes.
He has the cutest little pair of sunglasses - I don't know why I didn't think to try them out!

The girls were so excited to plant flowers with Grandmother, and she was very patient with their "help".
Daisy got her own gardening gloves and shovel for her birthday (ACK! I still haven't had her write thank you notes yet!), and she was so excited to use them.

Lily could barely keep her dress on, but she really wanted to help with the wheelbarrow.

And the watering can.

And the shovel full of dirt, which she dumped into the watering can, which also happened to still have water in it.

But Gayle was much more patient than I would have ever been. I suppose nearly 34 years of being a mother will do that to you? Or, more likely, she has been blessed with the gift of patience. 

But the girls were so engaged! Meanwhile, Eli and I sat on the porch swing and watched. I felt like a real bum, but it sure was nice!

I am not sure if deer like these flowers or not, but I really hope they last!

And then it started raining. A sprinkle here, a sprinkle there.

Before it got to wet, I snapped a picture of sweet Lily's curls. I have a feeling they'll disappear with her first hair cut, so I need to preserve the memory of how darling they are.

And the rain continued, and my mother-in-law kept plugging away until she was drenched, but she finished the job, by golly! I was amazed and thankful, and the girls were happy and wet. It was a good morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment