May 28

Eli is four months old today, and we filled the day with activity.

Eli's four-month checkup was scheduled for 10:00, so I decided to load the kids in the van an hour early so that we could play at a new park and burn off some energy before the appointment. (The last time I brought all four kids for one person's appointment was a disaster, and I didn't want to replicate it.) We visited our third new park of the summer, and had a lovely time playing.

Caleb rated the park an 11 out of 10, mostly because of one thing: a giant faux rock climber. The park was a pretty typical modern playground, except that the coolest slide could only be accessed by climbing up or climbing across the giant fake rock. It was probably at least ten feet high, with no guard rails or anything. Caleb was terrified, but he really wanted to do it. I was really impressed by his bravery, but halfway across he froze up and wanted to quit. I had to lay Eli on the ground and climb up the climber to reassure him and encourage him to keep going. He finally made it, and was so proud of himself!
He didn't attempt it again, though.

Then on to Eli's checkup. My little man clocked in at 13 pounds, 2 ounces!!!!!
(!!!!!)
That puts him in the 10th percentile, and means that he has gained nearly 3 pounds in the last not-quite 4 weeks. How about that? I'm seriously impressed. His head circumference was in the 40th percentile, but his height hasn't kept up with the rest of him. At 23.25 inches long, he is not quite on the charts right now. I suppose his next growth spurt will be in length!

Developmentally, we are still seeing some delays with Eli. His communication and interpersonal skills are right on track for a normal baby, but he is slightly delayed in fine motor and problem solving skills. His gross motor skills were technically slightly delayed, but he did several things today that he couldn't do when I filled out the form last week, so I'm pretty sure he's actually on track there. Our doctor told me that even though Eli was "only" five weeks early, it could take him up to a year or fifteen months to fully catch up.

Other than that, the kid is perfect. He was a gem for the doctor, and she and I celebrated the fact that Eli is finally nursing like a normal baby. At his last appointment, two months ago, we were still struggling with nursing due to his prematurity and the awful mastitis I fought for a month and a half. Back then, my doctor warned me that it was possible I may never regain a full milk supply in my affected breast. Eli was unhappy, took forever to nurse, and often still required bottles to supplement what he was getting at the breast. But now? The kid is happy, efficient, and I am making milk like a champ. Praise the Lord! I will never again take breastfeeding my baby for granted - it is a blessing.

While Eli was a gem for the doctor, the other three... not so much. My brilliant plan backfired, and they were crabby and whiny. When we left the office, Lily had her first-ever on the floor, kicking and screaming tantrum. Remember how a few weeks ago I wrote that she was my current favorite because she's at such a cute and funny age?
Not anymore.

We  got home around 11:20, and the kids got to watch the movie they picked out at the library yesterday. Since today was movie day, I even let them have popcorn for lunch. (And other food, too. Don't worry, Mom!)

I got the three little ones down for my nap, got dinner prepped, and  was ready for a hard-earned rest... except for Caleb. He needed to rest but refused to do it. Finally I convinced him to snuggle with me on the couch... and then Eli woke up.

Caleb was excited to go in to snuggle with Eli, though!
I suggested that we all rest on my bed, and Caleb was adamant that he was not taking a nap.

Thirty minutes later.... 
The kid was out cold, and slept until Chris got home from work.

With the big three napping, Eli and I snuck away to do his four-month pictures.
Of course I used his new wrap as our background!

This was one of the gross motor things that Eli couldn't do just a few days ago. Way to go, Eli!

Happy four-month birthday, little man!

At four months old, he:
coos, goos, gahs, giggles and laughs
wiggles but doesn't roll
is working on rolling from his back to his front
sleeps from about 8:30 pm to 9 am each day
sleeps in bed with me, so he nurses all night long
can stay awake during the day for about 90 minutes at a time
loves to be worn
loves to be outside
smiles, and even stops nursing just to smile up at me
has become a very content, good-natured baby (mostly)

How about some video of Eli being adorable?
He laughs every time I bring his foot up to pat his little face. (Yes, mom, babies bend like that. I promise I wasn't hurting him.)

Lily woke up just as we finished our photo shoot, so Eli and I went in to get her. Despite her long nap, she was still in quite the mood. She refused to let me get her out of her crib, but she didn't want me to leave... finally she grew happier when I asked if she wanted me to put Eli in her crib.

Look at their faces! Lily is so happy, and Eli looks terrified, like I threw him to the wolves.

"Please, Ma! Get me out of here!"

Lily may be a stinker, but she loves her baby so much!

Hi there, handsome!
(Ok, so that's not the cutest picture. But still. He's hilarious.)

1 comment: