May 10

Happy Mother's Day!

We had a very low-key day; the fact that I have instructions to "take it easy" and a sore leg from doing too much yesterday pretty much thwarted any ideas I might have had about how to celebrate today. But I did get my two biggest wishes for Mother's Day: I got to sleep in, and I didn't have to prepare any meals. So I call it a win.

When I finally woke up this morning, the kids were so excited to share their Mother's Day gifts with me! Daisy presented me with a beautiful flower picture she had made at preschool, and each child gave me a notebook. Inside each of the four notebooks was a picture of that child, and a special Mother's Day message and drawing. The hope is that each year, they'll add a new picture and drawing, and by the time they're grown I'll have a notebook full of sweetness for each child. I'm so happy Chris put it together for me!

After they gave me their gifts, the kids were desperate to go outside and play. But when Chris brought Eli outside, all playing stopped so that the girls could snuggle their baby.
Daisy gave Eli hugs, and tried to hold him by herself.

And Lily might have squeezed Eli a bit too tightly. She has a lot of love to give.

Caleb didn't stop to snuggle Eli, but did you notice his getup? A Batman hood and cape, Batman belt, and a gray wool fedora. That kid is something. Also something was watching how well he and Daisy swing now. I am so proud of them and amazed at how big they are getting!

Though it feels awful to say it, I really craved some quiet time this morning. Chris happily obliged, and took the big kids to see his mom, then to Costco to get some groceries. While they were gone, I wore Eli on my back, drank a mimosa (or two!), opened up my new sewing machine, visited with my mom...

Happy Mother's Day to me!

And 15 minutes later, the sweet boy was out cold. I wore him on my back for a while, then managed to transfer him from my back to the bed and keep him asleep. #babywearingFTW!

After my mom and I shared more mimosas, she headed home to work in her yard, and I got back to tinkering with my new sewing machine. I managed to make a new ring sling for Eli, and I'm so excited!

Then it was off to small group, where I was able to get my last request for the day: a picture of me with my kiddos. 
I am blessed to be their mommy!
(and no, Lily isn't sick or tired. She got all limp and snuggly the moment Chris picked up the camera, and as soon as he put it down, she was perky again. Leave it to her to be the obstinate one!

No comments:

Post a Comment