May 26

It was a day of highs and lows for us today.
We started out with breakfast on the front porch, which was fabulous. It had just finished raining, and it was cool and lovely.

The kids sat on a blanket on the porch and ate these breakfast cookies with almond milk, while I sat on the porch swing with coffee and cookies of my own.

When Lily saw that I had my camera out and was taking a picture, she grinned and ran over to the little bench. 
The silly monkey wanted her picture taken there!
(Also, is it any wonder that half of her socks have no mates? The girl goes through at least three pairs a day, discarding them randomly around the house.)

Eli is getting wiggly - I think he's trying to figure out how to roll over.

Not cool and lovely? This child: 
I think maybe it is the cumulative effect of two days without naps, but the girl was crabby all morning, bursting into tears for no reason. It made for a long morning. 

Usually outside time helps, so we went to the back yard. I laid Eli on a towel in the shade while I pulled weeds from my garden, which has been neglected for the past five and a half weeks. The kids played, I weeded, and Eli wiggled and cooed, until he began crying a little bit. I scrambled to finish up, when I looked over and noticed...
He was sound asleep. Since he was content, I was happy to keep working, but then Daisy started crying about something.

Eventually I declared it an early-nap day, fed all the kids lunch at 11:00, and put them down for naps around noon.

Except for Caleb, that is.
One of my goals for this summer is a program I'm calling "Afternoons with Grandparents", in which Caleb's grandparents - or any willing adult, really - comes over and takes Caleb on an adventure while the little ones nap.

My mom had the day off today, so she and my nephew Ryan came over to take Caleb on his first adventure. I put our spare car seat in Mom's car, and then ran inside to grab some things for Caleb. Mom and I got to talking, and then I realized that I didn't know where Caleb was. Finally, I found him buckled into his car seat, waiting patiently. The kid was so excited for his afternoon with Grandma!
First, they went to my mom's work and planted flowers in the planters there. Then, Mom rewarded their boys for their hard work with a meal.

Look at that grin. Kid knows he's getting away with something - look at that grilled cheese and fruit punch! To be fair, Mom asked if I had any food restrictions for Caleb and I said no. I'm not surprised by the grilled cheese, but that fruit punch makes me itchy. Oh well. It was Grandma time.

Then they played the claw machine, and Caleb won a stuffed animal all by himself!

Before she brought him home, they made one more stop: a playground. 
You are looking at one happy boy.

Ryan even swung with him!

While they were gone, I had fun, too. My Mother's Day gift finally arrived in the mail - a new wrap.
(I know. Another new wrap?!?! But it's so lovely, and in a size I don't have, and it's so lovely!)

While the little ones slept, I laundered it. 
Beautiful, isn't it? It definitely needs some breaking in, though. Eli and I worked on that, trying out all kinds of carries with it. 

ruck with a candycane chest belt and ring finish

another variation of a ruck 
(his little toes kill me!)

front wrap cross carry with rings at shoulder

It is a beautiful wrap, and I'm so excited to have it in my arsenal!

Lily was also excited to have it in our arsenal; when she woke up from her nap, she immediately noticed the new wrap, knew it was a wrap, and wanted to be up. Of course I obliged, but eventually I reached a point where I really needed to put her down.

Meanest mommy ever.

The girl was distraught. 

But dinner was ready, so we all ate. It was early, because Caleb had his first kickboard team practice tonight. (I know, busy day!) My wonderful husbando took the three older children to the pool while I stayed home with Eli, who refused to sleep.

After the pool, they stopped by Chris' parents' house to wish his dad a happy birthday. Finally, they all returned home to me, tired and happy. 

Lily wanted to hug her brother before bed, and actually did a remarkably good job at not smooshing him!

And then Daisy saw that Lily was holding Eli, and she absolutely had to have a turn, too.

So. Highs, lows... we had it all today. Thank goodness it's over!

No comments:

Post a Comment