December 9

I woke up this morning to the sound of Caleb running down the hall in his new slippers, then clambering into bed with me. "Mommy, may I snuggle with you?"
The kid knows I never say no.
We snuggled for ten minutes before Daisy joined us, and the three of us cuddled and giggled until 7:45. It was lovely, and even lovelier because Lily was somehow still asleep. But soon it was time to get up, so the kids and I headed out to the kitchen to finish breakfast and pack lunch and get them ready for kindergarten and preschool. We normally head out the door to get Caleb on the bus at 8:18, but when Lily started stirring at 8:15, I knew it wasn't going to happen. We changed plans and decided to drive Caleb to school today. Hooray for thirty extra minutes!

Then Daisy wanted pigtails. Then we made last-minute plans for Lily and me to meet my mom for breakfast.  And somehow Caleb got to school right as it was starting, and Daisy was late for preschool. Oops.

Still, all's well that ends well, and Daisy kept those pigtails in all morning at preschool! Once again, she knew just how stinking cute she was, and she eagerly let me take her picture.
Seriously. This girl.

Is it just because I'm her Mommy that these pictures hit me like a suckerpunch? I just want to eat her up, or at least pick her up and toss her in the air and squeeze her.

Okay, that one is totally Daisy, and she is totally my daughter.

Lily, meanwhile, was unimpressed. She spent all morning charming the patrons at the restaurant, so I think she was a bit peeved to find that she has competition at home.
(I didn't tell her that she also had food on her face. That would have been too much.)

My mom has been sick for at least a month now, if not two, and is worried about the flu that is spreading like wildfire around here. Daisy and I did our part to help her by mixing up a batch of elderberry syrup.

Someone was quite pleased with the fruits of her labor. Let's hope it helps get Mom healthy again!

In case you're wondering, when Caleb got off the bus today, I asked him how his day was. He replied, "Great! Until Flo splashed me with oil!"
He remembered his joke from yesterday, and told it to me without skipping a beat. I love that boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment