December 10

Daisy's preschool class is in the middle of learning about gingerbread men - they've read several versions of the story, played with ginger-scented Play-Doh, made paper gingerbread men, the whole deal. She came home from school yesterday begging to make gingerbread cookies.

After searching for just the right recipe, we made our own gingerbread men today! I ended up using this recipe, with a few tweaks. I highly recommend it! Though it's grain-free, it tastes and feels almost exactly like a normal gingerbread cookie.

Even Lily got to help with the cookie making! (Really, her "help" consisted of sampling the dough, then fussing until I gave her more dough to eat. Luckily, the dough is egg-free, so I didn't have to worry about how much she consumed!)

Yes, the girls stayed in their new Christmas jammies all day. I don't blame them. I wish I had stayed in my jammies all day, too!

Caleb came home from school and I offered him a rare treat: a chance to sample one of the cookies right away, even though it was only an hour until dinner. He eagerly agreed, but when he reached the kitchen and realized that the cookies didn't have any "toppings" on them, he freaked out. Just lost it. Apparently he's been learning about gingerbread at school, too, and the gingerbread he's seen is all covered in candy. He refused to eat a cookie unless it had icing and candy on it, and screamed and cried for quite a while. Really, he spent all evening like a ticking time bomb with a short circuit, ready to explode with no notice. Poor kid. I guess every day can't be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment