December 29

It's too bad I didn't have any pictures to share yesterday, because we had an awesome day. I suppose that's how it goes, though. We had a run of three nights in a row of enjoyable dinnertimes... sadly, tonight broke that run. Still, it was nice while it lasted and gives me hope for the future!

Today we sent Chris off to work for the first time in a week. We were all sad to see him go; it's so much nicer when he's here! If only we were independently wealthy, and he could stay home all the time. The kids and I had a good day, even if we didn't do much of anything. 

Today was a milestone of sorts: it marked the first time I put Lily down for a nap without nursing her, which is a big deal. With this new baby coming in just over two months (!), we realized that Christmas break was a good time to wean Lily of her one nursing session of the day. It hurts my heart to have to wean her at 17 months, but ever since my milk began disappearing when I was about 9 weeks pregnant, I knew this day was coming. It was the one reason I was sad to have Lily and Yoey so close together in age. And 17 months, while not what I had hoped for, is not too shabby! I guess the last time I nursed her was actually a week ago, but Chris has been handling nap times since then, so I haven't had to deal with telling her no to milk until today. At nap time I gave her a cup of raw cow's milk, read her two books, and put her on my shoulder so we could rock, snuggle, and sing. After about five minutes of snuggling, she realized something was up, sat bolt upright, and patted my breast to indicate that she wanted to nurse. I told her, "No. All done." and she was MAD for about five minutes. Then she got over it and went to sleep. Let's hope it continues this way!

Once the girls were down for their naps, it was my nap time. Caleb, however, was having none of it. He played quietly in his room for a while, and then came crawling into my bed, upset about some Lego fiasco. Eventually, he stopped fussing and fell asleep snuggled up next to me. It was lovely, until Lily woke up 30 minutes later. Boo. Daisy woke up not long after, but remarkably, Caleb stayed asleep. When he had napped for two hours, Lily and Daisy decided it was time to wake Caleb up. I put Lily on the bed, and she was the sweetest little alarm clock ever!

Normally Caleb is crabby when we have to wake him up, but can you see the smile on his face? Lily crawled right up to him and squawked at him, and he cracked up.

Then she gave him the sweetest hugs.
(See the blur that is Daisy's hand? She was not being sweet or gentle, and Caleb was kind of annoyed with her. Honestly, Lily seemed peeved with Daisy, too.)

But oh! Sweet sibling snuggles!

And then Lily gave Caleb kisses upon kisses upon kisses, which he gladly accepted.

I mean, really. Who could refuse this kissy face?
(Yes, that is her "I want to give you a kiss" face. We see it every nap time and bedtime, when she gives us milky kisses and shouts, "BAH!" as she waves goodnight to us. I love this sweet girl!)

No comments:

Post a Comment