December 11

My dear friend Jill says that my family has the plague, and I'm starting to believe her. I thought we were all healthy, but apparently I'm sick. Mostly it's just a sore throat and a cough, so I can't really complain; at least it's not the flu or a nasty cold. And then I picked Daisy up from preschool yesterday to find the early childhood nurse there and wanting to talk to me. 
Oh, no.
They did a hearing screening for all kids on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and Daisy failed for left ear. The Friday after Thanksgiving, she began showing symptoms of an ear infection. We chose watchful waiting, and after a few days the symptoms went away. Easy peasy! 
Only apparently, the symptoms might have gone away, but the problem persisted. Daisy failed her hearing re-check today; she can pretty much only hear shouting or louder out of that ear. Poor baby. Concerned, the nurse checked the ear with her otoscope and found that her eardrum was white and possibly pussy. I have no clue about anything ear-infection-related, but that sounds alarming. I'm currently waiting to hear back from our doctor about a course of action.

In the meantime, Lily was cute.

She grabbed Daisy's puffy coat and tried her hardest to put it on. She nearly succeeded, except that it was inside-out and backwards. Finally I took pity on her and helped her out, and Lily wandered around the house, proud as a peacock, for nearly an hour. Funny girl.

Also, I should probably record for posterity a conversation that Caleb and I had in the car this morning. We were discussing babies, and how even though we don't know the gender of our baby, many mommies do know their baby's gender. Caleb thought for a while, and then he said, "Oh! What if our baby is twins? I want to have twins, Mommy!"
I replied that, though we don't know Baby's gender, we DO know that there's only one baby in there.
Undeterred, Caleb said, "Well, after Yoey is born, I want our next baby to be twins."
I tried to gently explain to Caleb that Yoey is likely the last baby that I will grow in my belly, but he didn't like that answer.
"But Mommy, I want MORE babies!"
I replied that we just don't have room for any more babies right now.
"Mommy. We can get a van."
Yes, child, and we will get a van, but there's not room in our house for more babies.
"Mommy, we have a BIG ol' house! I want more babies!"

I have to give the kid credit - under close examination, all of our excuses for being done having babies are kind of lame. Finally, I gave up and told him to discuss the matter with his father. I love that kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment