December 27

Chris' sister Sally gave the kids a Wizard of Oz picture book for Christmas, and they have really liked it. I mentioned this morning that the book was actually a movie, and Caleb looked at me with serious distrust. I'm pretty sure he was shocked that I could have withheld such important information from him. They desperately wanted to see the movie, and, as luck would have it, a copy had just been returned to our branch of the library. Hooray! Chris and the kids went off to the library, and returned an hour later with The Wizard of Oz and a stack of books.

The kids and I immediately sat down to watch the movie, and Daisy kept her copy of the book in her lap for easy reference. As the movie progressed, she followed along in her book. It was darling.  Even though she knew how the story ended, Daisy was still pretty scared during a few parts, so I definitely had to sit and watch with the kids the whole time. We also had to break up our viewing with lunch and nap time, but Caleb and Daisy (and even Lily, surprisingly!) were very engaged. During the beginning tornado scene, Daisy had lots of really good advice for Dorothy: "SHE NEEDS TO GET INSIDE! SHE NEEDS TO GO IN HER HOUSE AND GET UNDER A TABLE OR A CHAIR!!!!!" That little girl of mine is pretty smart!

After we finished the movie, Caleb and Daisy snuggled up on the couch and enjoyed the other spoils of their library trip: a giant stack of books.
This just melts my heart.
Of course, my heart would be even meltier if they were reading classic literature, instead of "Sponge Bob Square Pants Gets Sick", but still. I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment