December 21

I was sick enough to keep us home from church again today. With all of the sickness we've had lately, I hope our church doesn't forget who we are! Despite the sickness, though, I had a lot to accomplish today. Naptime was especially important, because I needed some distraction-free time. Daisy cooperated and went right down for a nap. 
Caleb even willingly took a nap.
Lily, however, was another story.

I spent - literally - two hours trying to get her to take a nap. She would only sleep if I was holding her, touching her, or sitting right next to her. It was awful. Finally I quit, and that was just about the time Caleb woke up. I explained to him that I was really frustrated with Lily and I just needed her to be out of my way for a while, and do you know what that child did? He took Lily into his room, shut the door, and played with her.

What a sweetheart. 

Meanwhile, I prepped dinner and made hot cocoa for tonight's adventure: Wild Lights at the Zoo. Chris' sister Grace is in town from Texas, and she has joined us at Wild Lights for the past few years. Here are our visits last year and the year before:

Honestly, though? The zoo lights don't do much for me. Maybe because they're always so crowded? Still, it's a fun tradition. I didn't get a picture of our favorite part this year - the sea lions. It was warm enough that they were out in their water, swimming and splashing around and barking like crazy. Daisy couldn't get enough of them, and was laughing so hard. But it was so dark and so crowded that I just couldn't get a picture of it.

Here are the three pictures I ended up with for the night, due to crowds and uncooperative children:
Toward the beginning of the evening. You can't see Lily's face, but you can see her candy cane-striped legs dangling down Chris' back.

This was about 7:30 - Lily's bedtime. She had given up; she didn't want to be in the Ergo, she didn't want to be in the BOB, she didn't want to be held or touched or talked to... she was a mess. 

At the exit at 8:00. Daisy was melting, too, and totally refusing to cooperate for pictures. 

Caleb refused to be in the picture because he wanted a light-up rainbow wand and we wouldn't buy it for him. During a bathroom break, he and I had the following conversation;
Caleb: Mommy, I really want one of those light-up rainbow light sabers. 
Me: Oh. Did you bring your money?
Caleb: No. Can I borrow some of yours?
Me: I'm sorry, honey. I don't have any money. I spent it all on Christmas presents.
Caleb: Oh. Well, I'll ask Daddy, then. He works, so he has lots of money.

And then I died laughing, because the kid has it all figured out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment