November 10

OK, I'm just going to warn you now:
I will post way too many pictures tonight. But today was a big day, so you need to see lots of pictures.

Daisy had her six-month checkup today. Before the appointment, Chris and I placed bets on what Daisy's percentiles would be. (Like any good parent would. Duh.  Don't you do that?) I bet that her weight would be in the 10th percentile, and that her height and weight percentiles would add up to 100. (You know, weight 10th percentile, plus height 90th equals 100.) Chris just bet that her weight would be in the 15th percentile. 

I won.
(Not sure if that's something to be proud of...)

Daisy rocked the doctor's socks with her mad skills: sitting, rolling both ways, babbling, etc.
Her height? An impressive 27 inches - 86th percentile.
Her weight, however, was not awe-inspiring. She clocked in at 14 pounds, 3.3 ounces - 12th percentile.

I was pretty close, huh?

But despite the skinniness, Daisy is great. The only downside to her being so skinny is that she nurses all. night. long. It's probably because she desperately needs the nutrition. Right now, Daisy technically sleeps in a co-sleeper attached to our bed. But really, she sleeps rightnexttome. I talked to the doctor about putting Daisy in her own room when we move into the new house, but she wasn't so keen on it. Her thought (and mine, too, if I really admit it) is that if we put Daisy in her own room, she'll be content to sleep through the night and not nurse. And then she'll start dropping percentiles. For a girl who doesn't have much room to drop, that's a scary thing.

So. For the indefinite future, I have to be ok with the fact that Daisy will continue to nurse through the night and that it's probably best for her to sleep as close to me as possible to facilitate that nursing. *sigh* I guess that means we need to get a king-size bed!

But. We got the go-ahead from the doctor to start Daisy on solid foods today. We're doing things differently with Daisy than we did with Caleb. With Caleb, we started rice cereal at 4 months, then moved on to thin purees, then on to chunkier purees - you know, the way Gerber tells you to do it. But that was a lot of work, and it doesn't mesh well with my desire to exclusively breastfeed for the first six months. I've read a lot about Baby Led Solids (or Baby Led Weaning), and we're giving it a try. So Daisy's first solid food was actually solid, not liquid. It was peas.

"Seriously, Mom? What is this?"

"No, really. What IS this?"

"Maybe I eat it?"

"Maybe I don't want to eat it..."

"Hmmm..."

"This is fun!"


"If only I knew what to do with it, now that it's in my mouth!"

I really only had to put one or two in her mouth myself; after that she was intrigued and took care of it on her own. 
For a six-month-old, she's rocking the pincer grasp!

Got one!

In the mouth!

nom nom nom

Good job, Daisy!

And then Caleb said, "Take a picture of Cay-leb!"
Ok, sweetheart. Anything for you.

FYI, I thought Daisy did a great job eating those peas, but apparently she only actually swallowed one of them. It also only takes four to five hours for a baby to digest one pea. Funny, huh?

Dinner was broccoli and a few carrot pieces, but I'm pretty sure she didn't actually swallow any of those. I guess we'll see in a few hours...

No comments:

Post a Comment