December 30

I convinced Chris to take today off work and, just like his last day off, we went to another local institution that I have been meaning to take the children to for a long time. It's just that it feels like a lot of work to explore new places with four kids and one grown-up. By myself, it feels like work. With Chris, it feels like an adventure. I love that about him.

So today was the Missouri History Museum. It is one of the amazing free museums here, and I have heard many great things about their Kids' Clubhouse. We were not disappointed.

They had a an area devoted to the 1904 World's Fair, complete with period costumes and pretend ice cream cones.
The girls were thrilled!
(Later, my mom told me that she remembers her grandma - my great-grandma, the girls' great-great-grandma - telling the story of how she and her family traveled by horse and cart from central Iowa to the World's Fair in St. Louis. She was just a small child, but she remembered the journey. How cool is that?)

There was also an area where the kids could learn about Kahokia Mounds and the area's native people. They loved this fishing area!

But we spent the most time in the actual clubhouse, which was full of books and games and puzzles and cozy places to read. Don't you love my flower girls in the flower cushion?

And Chris is such a good sport for reading endless books to them.

Caleb was content to read on his own.

Then we moved on to the rest of the museum. It was really interesting for us, but we had to breeze through it quickly for the kids' sake. Eli was fascinated by this motorcycle, though. I think he takes after his grandpa.

We finished our visit with a stop at the complimentary photo booth. There were costumes galore, and the kids had so much fun planning their outfits. 
Isn't Eli the cutest little Yoda? He was adamant that he needed a light saber, but the two they had were both being used. Thankfully, a bigger kid was kind to our little guy and handed one over. Eli was so happy! He took his Yoda outfit very seriously.

The end result! Caleb wore a Gumby costume, which disappeared into the green screen and made him look like a floating head.

The one of just the kids is probably my favorite, though. Look at sweet Yoda Eli! Isn't he hilarious? Caleb was invisible Gumby, Lily was Jessie from Toy Story, and Daisy was a Sith Lord. They are never this cooperative when I take their pictures!

We stayed much longer than we should have, and then had a special lunch at Bread Company thanks to some gift cards that were a Christmas gift. By the time we made it home, it was way past nap time and the little two were exhausted. We got them down for naps, and then Chris and I grabbed the older two for some snuggles in our big bed. 

Aren't they funny?

My sweet girl.

We love snuggles!

After dinner, it was bath time. I snapped a few shots of sweet Lily. I love when she is all fresh and clean and wrapped up in her hooded towel!
This towel was a first-birthday gift to her from my friend Jessica. She chose it because it was a rainbow towel for our "Baby Rainbow". Lily loves it.

She's so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment