March 29

Our school district's Spring Break is over now, so life as usual resumes today. We dropped Daisy off at preschool, and returned home for a playdate with my friend Jill and her girls. Lily was ecstatic; "No-me" is one of her favorite friends. (Her only friend? Whatever.) She told me she was excited to play chase with No-me.

I took some pictures of Lydia and Naomi, and then we headed outside to play.
Caleb desperately wanted to take the girls back to his "secret hideout" in the trees behind our house, but Jill and I were too lazy to supervise and the girls are too young to go traipsing about with just Caleb. Instead, he pulled them around in the wagon. I know there's a shadow over Naomi's face, but can you tell that she thought it was the coolest thing ever?

I love this picture with all my heart. Caleb was trying mightily to push the girls up a hill, but it just wasn't happening. He is such a good big brother, and so sweet with the little ones!

Lily and Naomi thoroughly appreciated Caleb's hard work.

Meanwhile, the babies were sharing a swing.
It will be a sad day when the children are too big to share the bucket seat!

Lydia is a month and a half older than Eli, but look at how much taller she is than him! Jill and I decided that I breed skinny little things, while she breeds Amazon babies.

Then the girls decided it was Caleb's turn for a ride in the wagon. 
This was so, so funny. Look at Naomi's face. She thinks it is the best game. Meanwhile, Lily is pushing from behind with everything she has, and the wagon was barely moving.

Caleb didn't care. He loved it all!

Then it was time to go. We left to go pick up Daisy, and there was a stressful confrontation with a dad in the parking lot that I don't wish to discuss right now. After lunch and naps, Caleb and I got to work.
I love practicing spelling words with sidewalk chalk! Yay, spring!

Chris had a late work event, so I was on my own for dinner with the kids. We had gluten-free noodles, and Eli and Lily were in heaven! 
He is my only child who will eat tomato sauce. The other three refuse it. Lily demolished her plate of noodles, cheese, and meat in  the time it took Caleb to take four bites. I'm not even kidding. The girl was ravenous, and it was one of her favorite meals. And Eli was just happy. He ate most of his food, and let me know he was finished by throwing the rest on the floor. Thanks, kid.

Then it was time for our 5k training run #3. Chris and I discussed postponing it until tomorrow and making today a rest day, because he wouldn't be home to watch the little ones while Caleb and I ran. But I decided to go for it.
I buckled Eli and Lily into their spots in the BOB, Daisy got comfortable in the footwell, and we were off! I'm not going to lie; the hills were hard. But Caleb was moving at a turtle's pace, which made my job a bit easier. We ended up running two miles in 32 minutes. That's a 16-minute mile. I'm pretty sure I could power walk a mile faster than that, but whatever.

This was our post-run selfie. Caleb is feeling discouraged because he hasn't gotten stronger and faster yet. I totally understand, and that's why I'm glad we've committed to this 5k. I'm hopeful that he will learn firsthand the value of perseverance, and that growth is better than perfection. I'm also hopeful that a rest day tomorrow will boost his spirits, and that our next run can be just the two of us. I think he craves that special alone time, and perhaps that was part of his disappointment? We'll see.
I also ordered him some red athletic shorts today. Those should put a little bit of pep in his step!

1 comment:

  1. how cool! Good job running, wow!

    I am so curious about the weird dad incident!!

    ReplyDelete